The end of 3D television?

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Vizio announces its first consumer 4K TVs, kills all 3D support.

A year after unveiling its first 4K TV prototype, Vizio is fully commiting to the ultra high-def technology. Here at CES, the company is expanding its TV lineup to include a new P Series — Vizio's first consumer-grade 4K television. Set to be in available in sizes ranging between 50 and 70 inches, the P Series, in Vizio's own words, "is the culmination of advanced picture quality, powerful performance and a beautifully simple Ultra HD experience." These TVs feature advanced local dimming, a backlight that consists of 64 Active LED Zones, and even Vizio's very own custom silicon. All of that fancy language means that you'll ultimately be looking at a fantastic picture. The demo units on hand at the company's suite were vibrant, sharp, and incredibly detailed. But how much will they cost? The company's chief technology officer, Matt McRae, would only tell The Verge that the P-Series will be priced "aggressively."But there's another new Vizio series that won't be priced aggressively in any way, shape, or form; the company's Reference Series. Simply put, these are the best TV panels that Vizio has ever produced. The Reference Series is aimed at videophiles and "custom integrators," a good sign that you'll never see these at your local Walmart. But they're far and away the most impressive TVs Vizio has ever produced. The company says they were built from the ground up after over two years of dedicated R&D. Yes, they're 4K-capable, but the real star of the show here is High Dynamic Range (HDR).But for all that Vizio's 2014 TV lineup may be gaining (the regular 1080p models are looking better than ever), it lacks one notable thing: 3D. The company has done away with 3D playback entirely. That's a sudden and major break from the industry trend of stuffing 3D support into every TV that leaves a manufacturing line. It's also a major blow to 3D in the living room; Vizio sells the most TVs of any company in the US. But Vizio is confident that consumers won't miss it; in fact, the decision was made because Vizio's current customers simply aren't viewing content in 3D often. In 2014, Vizio seems willing to sacrifice what some may consider a gimmick in pursuit of a better picture.

Hmm... I thought 4K essentially included 3D. They all are just looking for a way to sell more TV's. TV sales were shit before HD. HD came along and people though great, HD, but it's so expensive. A few adopted, some providers started using HD, eventually prices came down and almost everyone has HD.

A few years ago, the big bet was 3D and pushing it and hoping to get a similar buying spree of new televisions. While some of us like it and enjoy the content, many have been hesitant to adopt. Though admittedly I don't know that I'd want to wear the 3D glasses for constant TV viewing, it sure does look a lot nicer in 3D for viewing the occasional movie.

Anyway, that hasn't really caught on and now 4K is the next big bet hoping to get people to start shelling out cash to buy new TVs, re-purchase movies in new 4K formats, etc.

I love my 3D stuff. I don't know why people are so hot to jump on 4K stuff. I personally haven't seen it in person yet. But I mean 1080p is already Dam good. Shoot 720p is great. I think it's just another way to push sales of televisions. I mean they are running out of new technology for them.

... I think it's just another way to push sales of televisions....
Isn't that what I just said?I do agree with you about jumping on 4K. To me, it doesn't make a lot of sense unless you are buying something very large (over 65" at least), or unless you plan to sit incredibly close to the screen.

When 1080p v. 720p. was a thing, I seem to recall that the human eye was incapable of telling a difference from normal viewing distance unless you exceeded 65" and on anything smaller you'd have to be very close up to notice.

I'll get a 4K TV someday, when one of mine blows up or we need to add one in another room for some reason, and when 4K OLED is the price of today's 1080p LED.

By then there will be 5K or 6K televisions. :D

Did 3D even start? Sorry Nodle

Strange part alot of 4k movies that I have been seeing are way cheaper than 3D.

Back