NextDNS - Network wide DNS filter

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you think of NextDNS? Basically a DNS that works somewhat like a Pihole or Adguard. Basically it's a DNS where all your traffic flows though that has built in adblock and malware lists. There is a pay version that gives you a control panel I believe as well.

image.png

NextDNS - The new firewall for the modern Internet

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have been reading up on this service this morning. I did a lot more reading on it, watching review videos, and playing with the interface. Basically if someone is wanting a service like Pi-Hole or AdGuard Home, this is a great service that will almost do the same but you won't have to have a Raspberry pi or other hardware. There is a free version base on how man DNS queries that you send, but even the pay version is very reasonable. It does have all the major block lists and with even some parental controls. You can also install on some routers from a CLI depending on your brand of router.

This guy has a nice write up for those running Ubiquity brands:

NextDNS & the Dream Machine

For all others, just find yours listed in the list:

NextDNS CLI

They also offer a site to show their ping, based off your location:

https://ping.nextdns.io

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I enabled this on our work router this morning, and I am loving it! You don't even need a Pi anymore, just let their computers take the load. Pretty impressed. In fact, might switch my network over to this at home. They have a simple setup that you can use, without even signing up if you want to try it. Impressive!

Well, I followed the guide above and setup the full CLI guide for traffic encryption for my home network. Looks like I am pulling my Pi out of my network. It's been fun! If you don't want to go the full SSH route you can also just change the IPV4 servers in your router. It's much easier, just no encrypted traffic (DNS lookups).

I thought I would add this link to test to make sure everything is configured properly.

https://test.nextdns.io

I finally broke my free 300,000 queries per month, so I went ahead and paid for their plan. It's well worth it!

New update out.

Reactions: LK
V1.40.1 is released.

While I love NextDNS I am going to try to use my built in Ubiquity adblock and DoH client for now. Hopefully they will take users feedback on Ubiquity and allow us to use NextDNSs cli to track devices in one of their next updates. If so I will then switch back. Another thing you can almost sometimes be to aggressive with your block lists and almost go overboard blocking legitimate things.

Back