Weed Spraying

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's almost that time of year again. Time to get the chem out and do some spraying. Be careful and know your chemicals though. Don't do what I almost did yesterday. I have two spray bottles. One for the chem like Roundup and the other is a broad leaf killer 2-4-D. So last year I bought some Glystar Plus . Basically it's a generic Roundup at a way cheaper cost. But for some reason I thought it was my broad leaf killer so it would be safe to spray on my yard and not kill my grass but only the dandelions. I got it mixed up at a even higher concentrate in my 2-4-D sprayer. Then it all started to come back to me. Wait this is like Roundup meaning it kills everything! So glad I didn't go spraying or I would had a bunch of yellow holes in my yard. So the moral of the story with the season coming on, make sure to know what your chem does before spraying!

Yeah, gotta know what you are putting down. 

I need to do a dose of roundup type kill everything around the pool soon.  I don't recall what I used last year, but will be something that should keep the ground clear of any growth for 6 months or so.  Probably follow that up with a bit of prep like landscape fabric and a little more permanent solution.

I generally just buy straight 2-4D and mix it on my own for general use on the yard.  Most any general lawn spray you'll find will be a diluted 2-4D with whatever brand label on it, so it's cheaper and typically works better

They make stuff to sterilize the soil. I can't think of the name of the chemical right now, but it is used around airports or places you never want anything to grow, weeds or grass I think it has like a 3-5 year life as well. If you are looking into chemicals though, make sure to check out generics. I know Roundup use to hold the patent for their chemical, but it expired and now there are tons of duplicates out there under different names and way cheaper. Weed mat is a good way to go though as well. Over time though it you don't lay good stuff down I have seen grasses creep through.

Took my new sprayer out of the box, and labeled them this time, so my future self won't ever mess up again. Went out and went through two gallons of weed-b-gone already today.

The weed-b-gone is going great. First year that I have actually seen results from it. What I think happened is I used a bottle that had been sitting for a few years that more than likely lost it's potency. But this is fresh stuff this year and it's working great. I have been spraying each night after work about two gallons.

Back