4k monitor or 4k tv

Well got my TV tonight. Holy Shit she is HUGE! The 4k is pretty amazing as well. Apparently my computer pumps out 4k I never knew. I see one tiny dead pixel, but I think I will just live with it. The colors blow my mind.

I know this is old, but I am thinking about purchasing a 4k monitor for my birthday this year, and pairing it with my mac mini as well since they love 4K stuff. Just wondering if anyone is using one, or what would they recommend?

Is @nodle the only one in here who buys themselves birthday presents regularly? :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, it is a good question. A big part of my hesitation to upgrade is potentially downgrading in screen as I would be coming from the 27 inch retina display. I have been looking at some LG's and Dell 27" 4K's that people online have been talking about. Usually in the $300-400 range.

This is the one I am looking at. One review said it’s the closest he has seen to Apple clarity.

LG UltraFine UHD 27-Inch Computer Monitor 27UN850-W, IPS with VESA DisplayHDR 400, AMD FreeSync, and USB-C, White https://a.co/d/3T5WenZ

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the one I am looking at. One review said it’s the closest he has seen to Apple clarity.

LG UltraFine UHD 27-Inch Computer Monitor 27UN850-W, IPS with VESA DisplayHDR 400, AMD FreeSync, and USB-C, White https://a.co/d/3T5WenZ
Yup that was one I was looking at.

Costco has some good deals on 4k monitors as well.

Mac minis are very picky on what monitors they use and can have problems, I have heard the LG seems to work perfect.

I have been watching a bunch of Youtube videos on the 4k LG. I think this is the one I will get. I currently have a LG 1080p 144hz model and it's been great. It is flaky with my Mac mini though. The only thing that I am worried about is the 60hz deal on the 4k, but people say the gaming isn't to bad on it.

I have been watching a bunch of Youtube videos on the 4k LG. I think this is the one I will get. I currently have a LG 1080p 144hz model and it's been great. It is flaky with my Mac mini though. The only thing that I am worried about is the 60hz deal on the 4k, but people say the gaming isn't to bad on it.
For me, gaming doesn't matter. However, I do stream TV on it and want it as quality as possible without too crazy of cost. Worried I will miss the retina quality.

Worried I will miss the retina quality.
Watch reviews on it. A lot of the YouTube reviews say that almost can't tell the difference and one is $300 vs. $1,300. I was also looking at an ultrawide, but I want the crispness of a 4k.

I am waiting to spring on this monitor. Unfortunately, Amazon sold out and now the price for other sellers is up another $130 more than what Amazon had it for. So, I will have to wait till Amazon gets them back in stock.

Man, Amazon is never going to get this monitor back in stock, I wonder if it's been discontinued?

Man, Amazon is never going to get this monitor back in stock, I wonder if it's been discontinued?
Been a whole week? Patience

I am still stuck on trying to pick a monitor.

I am still stuck on trying to pick a monitor.
I am surprised you haven't bought one and returned one by now.

What's your thoughts on a curved monitor?

What's your thoughts on a curved monitor?
Doesn't much matter. On an ultrawide it's probably more beneficial. I have a plain old 27" 1080p monitor that is curved. Compared to a flat, no real difference that I was ever able to tell. It's not better, not really worse either. On some of these ultrawide things it probably helps that don't have to sit quite as far away or turn your head as much.

Back