What's new

Project: Don't let the wife know #4

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Member
I don't know why, but I am getting the itch for new computer stuff lately.

200.gif


 
Well, I think it's time again, I have started to explore getting a new CPU and new motherboard. I am going AMD again. Love their cost and performance. I will be going from my old Ryzen 7 2700x to maybe a Ryzen 5 or 7 (still deciding). I am pretty impressed with the G versions of these chips and the video performance. I am trying to figure out what motherboard brand to go with ASUS or MSI. :unsure:
 
Well I couldn’t resist, Amazon has a pretty good deal on their ssds for Black Friday and since my new B550 chipset uses PCIe 4.0 for the ssd, I thought I would take advantage of it, the reads and writes will be double of my old nvme M.2 drive.
 
Trying to decide if I should switch over to air cooling from water for this next build?
 
It sure would be nice to get this built this weekend, just waiting for Amazon to ship my CPU and heatsink. Everything else I have sitting here. 😞
 
So I have been waiting on my CPU, I ordered before Black Friday on November 22nd. I get an email from Amazon saying it won’t be delivered until December 16th now. Yes it was ordered from Amazon, not a third party. Wtf!
 
WOOT! I just got an email from Amazon saying that my processor will be here Monday! Time to build.
 
Well, I stayed up late and got the new system put together. I have never had an OS installed that fast ever. It was about 3 minutes for me to be back in Windows. This was a full clean load on the new SSD. Those pci 4.0 speeds are amazing!
 
So, I have been busy in the evenings lately, so I haven't got to play to much with it, but I finally loaded up WoW last night, I went from around 26 frames per second in crowded areas to about 126 frames per second. That quite the upgrade, all from the CPU alone.
 
I ordered a couple more of Noctua top of the line fans, going to finish her out right.
 
New b550 amd board ordered. I have been watching them, and might as well make use of my fast ssd.

 
Got my new card tonight and popped her in. I can't believe how much a difference in noise and heat that there is. The quietness was worth the cost alone.
 
I am so impressed with this video card. Mine was about two generations old, but this new one pushes everything to max, yet still makes no noise and barely any heat. Once the card drops below 50c the fans stop making any more noise. To me it's just the ease of running everything at max with no heat or noise.
 
Back
Top