What's new

Raising chickens

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Member
Due to unforeseen circumstances, I inherited chickens here about 2 weeks ago from my sister. She had to move and I ended up with the 5 chickens, a chicken coop, and a chicken run.I grew up with chickens, but it has been a long time since I have been around them. They are much happier here since I have a larger yard, and they love to be out in it foraging and stretching their legs. But the little bastards can be naughty and well, and have been focused on a part of my yard and tearing the shit out of it. They do produce an average of 3-5 eggs daily. Their feed isn't horrible, but you have to have a main feed (for egg production), a scratch feed (some nutrition and to keep them pecking), and then I have a bag of dried meal worms which is crack cocaine to chickens. They go crazy for these things. But dam they are expensive! Anyways as our new adventures continues if anything new comes about I will post here.
 
The Fifth Element Food GIF


This year was busy and we had a lot of small projects & family related problems to attend to, so we didn't get to get chickens like I wanted. Having a place with chickens of your own is about the highest life you can get IMO.

I am curious to see how this is working out for you! 🐔
 
They are little bastards. They have really taken to digging some holes in my side yard. I had to put up a temporary fence to keep them out. No they are pretty cute actually. There is nothing better than watching them come running towards you because they get excited to see you, their little legs and bodies wobbling. I have named four of them.

Chicken soup
Chicken noodle
Chicken tenders
Honky tonk

They are actually cute to have and my kids enjoy them and carry them everywhere.
 
These little bastards are starting to get on my nerves. I have fenced them in, but chicken noodle keeps getting out and tearing up my yard. I told her that if she keeps it up, she is going to end up in a soup.
 
I spent most of the afternoon winterizing the coop. Installed outdoor plywood around base the the coop to keep the snow and wind out of it.
 
Note to self, don't get in a rush and put your water heater upside down and then wonder why it's not melting the water. :whistle:
 
Back
Top