What's new

Shortwave radios

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Member
So what have I been up to lately? Well, for the past three weeks I have dove real deep into the whole SW/LW/SBB world. I have learned a lot lately. I have always been interested in it, but never really understood everything until I got deep into it, and everything started to click. Now I have one radio with another on the way, along with a loop active antenna as well. The idea of being able to pick up radio stations and transmission across the world, bouncing off the ionosphere intrigues me. Unfortunately, I seemed to have missed the golden era, and it's a dying hobby, but there are plenty of old timers still into it. I don't have a license to transmit, but only interested in receiving. (even though I have looked into getting a technician's license at least). Anyways in the evening I have picked up some Mexican stations, a station from LA, and Chicago. I am excited to get my new antenna to see how far I can reach. After this, I will probably buy an MLA 30+ and make my own antenna. Also have a second DSP receiver on the way. Driving around town, I can now see different types of antennas and what they are used for, so that's kinda neat. Our local armory has a huge mounted longwire antenna outside, and I never knew what it was or even noticed it until lately. Anyways this is a thread for others who may be into them as well in the future.
 
My uncle was into Ham radio for many, many years. I remember him having a big map and he would put a thumb tack on the locations of the people he visited with. Was pretty fascinating.
 
My uncle was into Ham radio for many, many years. I remember him having a big map and he would put a thumb tack on the locations of the people he visited with. Was pretty fascinating.
Yup, that's the stuff. You would get your call sign like WX3T6, you will still see license plates with these and they are ham operators. It was a way for people in remote areas to keep in communication with folks from all over the world. I think I was born in the wrong era sometimes.
 
Yup, that's the stuff. You would get your call sign like WX3T6, you will still see license plates with these and they are ham operators. It was a way for people in remote areas to keep in communication with folks from all over the world. I think I was born in the wrong era sometimes.
Yup my uncle had his call sign on his license plate too.
 
I found this interesting during World War II people were trying to hide their antennas.

1785417630585.webp
 
Back
Top