The new tipping trend

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
So I have been experiencing this more and more lately. But this weekend I saw it everywhere. Why is it that every time you purchase something these days, the credit card reader or receipts are asking for a tip? I am all for tipping and over tip myself, but you have to be at least doing something for me. Just because I pick up a sandwich at Subway or a pizza, what are you actually doing for me? Are you throwing on extra meat at Subway? I am not sitting down at the pizza place and having you wait on me so why do you deserve one as well? This is everywhere lately. I am not here to subsidize you wage since your employer is paying you a shitty wage. I feel you, but you have to do something for me to earn it. I am just so sick of feeling obligated because a little screen is telling me to.

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Yep, noticed this too. I always feel like I am being judged if I don't tip. I used to never think twice when I first saw that and didn't feel bad but now I always tip as I feel like they are going to flip me off once I leave. I agree though, if delivery or a sit down place where they actually deserve a tip then sure. Me driving there to pick up? Should be nothing but like I said I usually do.

ryanator

Math Wizard
A tip is just that, extra money provided on top of the service and product you get. This can because you received service or the product better than you expected (within standards) or are in a period in their life where they can give extra compensation. Businesses exploit this and give a lower wage expecting the customer to pick up the rest, which should never be the case. And before someone thinks, yes, I have averaged higher than 15% in tips, but don't go out to eat often.

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Was just in a store over the weekend. I only had so much cash on me. I wanted to buy something, the lady goes "I will have to charge you a fee for using your card" I go no never mind, bought the smaller package so I could use my cash, which means they lost out on the larger sale. She wanted to charge 30%! for using a credit card. See ya!

C Pav

Codename: GB6
Let me tell you how entitled the new generation is. I saw a post on local facebook from some young lady saying you better tip your delivery drivers or you might not get your food delivered... That's not how it works,,,AT ALL! I guess it's for whatever service you pay in advance with your card. Get the freak out of here.

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut over the weekend using their online app. I go to pay and it wants me to tip them before paying on the app, with sad faces that get a bigger smile the more you tip. Really? What for? I am ordering online, I am picking up, I am using a national app. Do you really think they will take it on the employees wage come the end of the night? I highly doubt it, it will go in corporates pockets. Besides you aren't doing anything special for me, it's an online order that I am picking up. Stop with this stuff.

ryanator

Math Wizard
Ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut over the weekend using their online app. I go to pay and it wants me to tip them before paying on the app, with sad faces that get a bigger smile the more you tip. Really? What for? I am ordering online, I am picking up, I am using a national app. Do you really think they will take it on the employees wage come the end of the night? I highly doubt it, it will go in corporates pockets. Besides you aren't doing anything special for me, it's an online order that I am picking up. Stop with this stuff.
This has to stop, it's getting ridiculous. A tip, if any, should be only given after everything to assure good service, and the expected percentage seems to be going up (suggested is 18 to 20% minimum). Just like you said in this case, it's an online order with you picking up, the price of the food covers everything. Also what I fear is I hear some people, if not given a tip before doing their expected services, will not do a good job on purpose or something worse with your food (spit in it, etc...)

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Took a trip out of town last weekend, and ate at this local burger joint in town, get ready to pay and the screen in front of me pops up, massive 4 boxes with a 10%, 20%, 30%,40% screen pops up. I click the finalize and pay, but no another screen pops up with a check mark box that I have to click that says "Are you sure you don't want to leave a tip" with a smiley frown face. Come on this is getting ridiculous.

jmanz

Penny Pincher
Took a trip out of town last weekend, and ate at this local burger joint in town, get ready to pay and the screen in front of me pops up, massive 4 boxes with a 10%, 20%, 30%,40% screen pops up. I click the finalize and pay, but no another screen pops up with a check mark box that I have to click that says "Are you sure you don't want to leave a tip" with a smiley frown face. Come on this is getting ridiculous.
So you weren't going to leave a tip initially but the pressure got to you?

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
So you weren't going to leave a tip initially but the pressure got to you?
No sir, for what taking my order at a counter? Doing the job your getting paid to do? Then you have to go up and get your own food when it was ready. I should had charged them for making me get up and get my own food and drink.

jmanz

Penny Pincher
No sir, for what taking my order at a counter? Doing the job your getting paid to do? Then you have to go up and get your own food when it was ready. I should had charged them for making me get up and get my own food and drink.
Oh a fast food place. I was thinking of a sit down place.

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Went into another pizza place. Big fluorescent sign hanging up saying "Tips Welcome". They brought me my pizza to pick up. The thing pops up wanting me to sign and leave a tip, I skip it. They look at me with a frown on their face. You did nothing for me. Nothing more than what you were supposed to do in the first place.

ryanator

Math Wizard
This will be a more common reaction in the future of glorified entitled fast-food chefs during that awkward moment they hand you your food, the total comes up with a suggested tip, and paying the already high price without tip.

C4718F1B-BC59-41C8-8243-86CA3EC30F10.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
You should have seen me raging this weekend. Everywhere I went there was tip, tip, tip. Have you noticed that some of these tip screens no longer say 10%, oh no, the new minimum is 20% now. I am so sick of this. I was paying for a water park ticket, and it wanted me to leave a tip. What for? Are you going to personally dry me off with a towel?

200.gif

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Went into Subway this weekend. Went to pay nothing but a tip screen everywhere, it's like I am clicking off of popup windows on ads trying to close the screen, I had to go through like 3 screens where I could just pay. What am I leaving a tip for, because you're some sort of 'sandwich artist'? Come on, that's not art, that's you slapping some overpriced lettuce on a dried-out piece of bread and skimping out on everything else. Then I went to pick up a pizza, and I pulled out my patented 'I am busy looking around and didn't notice the tip section of the receipt and just signed real fast' move. Ya I am starting to get the hand of this, it's called recession is a bitch and I am too broke to leave a tip and don't really care anymore.