Lets discuss Barbecuers

This is true of pretty much any charcoal or gas grill, far more capable of high heat than pellet grills.
Do you preferer a charcoal flavor over pellets?

Watched a few videos on the Masterbuilt charcoal grills. They seem pretty cool. They get up to 700 degrees, way hotter than my Treager.

I remember the days of the charcoal Weber I had. They've come along ways.

Do you preferer a charcoal flavor over pellets?
I don't know if I'd say that. I think charcoal is the most versatile, though depends on the grill too. IMO, pelllet grills are for smoking and long cooks. I know they can get hotter, but it's not their forte. I was just saying that pretty much any charcoal or gas grill will exceed a pellet grills max heat capability. Charcoal especially where you can add and light as much or as little as you want, getting to 700 or exceeding that is pretty easy if you want to burn enough charcoal.I do not have a pellet grill, have had a burger of of them and it was good, but a burger is good off a charcoal grill or gas grill too. I still fire up the faster to use gas grill for burgers, hot dogs and brats typically. Might occasionally light charcoal for those, but typically use it more for steaks, ribs, chicken, fish. If you just have the kettle style charcoal grill (classic Weber) that's about the extent of it's use. With other types that are more insulated, or the ceramic types (green egg type) - they can also do a good low/slow cook.

I forgot you have one of those Green Egg things, are they charcoal? Still like it?

I forgot you have one of those Green Egg things, are they charcoal? Still like it?
Yes, you load it up with charcoal. You control temp by opening/closing vents, or you cheat and get a temp monitor like I have that has a blower in the lower vent and it will just stoke the coals as needed to keep temp. Works great for regular higher temp cooks. Works great at low temps with lump charcoal and chunks of wood to smoke things like brisket, pork shoulder and ribs. I've also had it up in the 700 range one time for an attempt at pizza, but it's been a while. Very happy with it overall. I'd still like a pellet grill for smoking the larger meats over a long period. Their controls and constant wood burning would just do that part a bit better, and adding more wood to the coals on an egg isn't that easy as the plate you put between the coals/wood and food to do indirect heating is in the way.

Well got mine all cleaned up today and put away for the winter. Boy it needed some cleanout from my pellet dust.

Well got mine all cleaned up today and put away for the winter. Boy it needed some cleanout from my pellet dust.
Got another two uses this year eh?

jkpkka970uml2nqnbe4xbyn1k4tfdmm8m4sc0m&rid=200.gif

I used my barbecue the most I had ever used it. I noticed I had some good metal rust flaking off my fire box. 

I have to buy myself a new cover though. The UV finally got to my old one. I see Amazon has generic ones for less than half the cost I think I will try.

Well it's that time of the year, pulled my Treager out of the garage tonight. I also ordered a new cover for it, since my last one finally has rips and is faded from all the UV over the years.

I got myself a new grill cover, my old on the UV finally ate it away.

One a side note, when was the last time you have every replaced parts in your Treager @jmanz? I was on Amazon the other night and I see they carry updated stainless-steel fireboxes, replacement fans etc. I know that the firebox can rust out over time from the heat. The last time I vacuumed mine out it's a little rusty but still tons of life. 

'nodle]I got myself a new grill cover said:
I haven't had to replace anything yet and I use mine frequently, several times a week. 12 months a year.

Ya but theirs is only regular steel.

I sure wish I could have the new Wi-Fi stuff.

[QUOTE='nodle]Ya but theirs is only regular steel.
I sure wish I could have the new Wi-Fi stuff.
[/QUOTE]What's stopping you?

They don't have one for our models, only whole new grills. The internal components fans, etc, are different.  

Here you go @jmanz, the new Timberline XL.

Have you done a brisket yet on your Treager @jmanz? I am looking for something easy so that I can smoke. Something that I can just toss in on a Sunday morning and smoke all day till dinner time.

Back