People using you because of your knowledge

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure that we have complained about this before, but will it ever end for me? I haven't worked in the computer industry for over a year now. It is nice just being able to do my own thing and not have to worry about it. But I will tell you a story and it makes me angry, yet I have to deal with it. So this lady my mom knows when I first moved over here wanted me to re-do their website. She at first just wanted some links changed, sure easy as pie, then it ended up wanting a whole new website. So I worked on it for like two weeks and at the time I didn't have a job yet from moving here so it was fine. I get it all done (mind you it's basically HTML web hosting, no php, etc.) So most it it was hand done using a text editor, so I put some time into it. Then when I got done with it she tells me that she wants custom video, custom database, weather updates etc. I am like this is way above me, you will have to hire a web design company. Never got paid for all my time I put into it etc. But whatever, Then a few weeks ago she has me come over to her house and decides to use it again. So thankfully I had the files saved but spent a few nights updating them since stuff had changed. I upload it to her website under a test folder so she can play with it live. She's like it looks good. I am thinking "I am finally done and can get you out of my hair". Then a few days later she texts me and goes can you come over again and discuss all the website changes that need to be made. I am like WTF this is just like the first time, this is all I can do for you lady. But here is the real kicker. She goes "oh and by the way, I bought a new computer and want you to transfer the old data to the new one" WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I don't do this stuff anymore, nor do I have the time. I remember seeing Her desktop and it was loaded on the desktop itself with stuff. I use to spend a solid day doing this at my old job and can't complete it in a night sitting after work. I hate this abuse of your knowledge, I know quite a few people on this board can agree with me.

Yeah. I have only done a few "side jobs" since leaving working for you. I basically worked on them during lunch or breaks at work instead of taking home. I did get paid for these though and were not very difficult. Thing is I am not good in asking for much and basically say whatever they feel is fair is fine. I probably got way less than what the work was worth but still better than not getting anything.

I know years back did a few things for friends and once I was paid when I didn't want or ask for anything but it was one of those where they hand you the money and say just take it. Another time I did 2 computers full reloads I think and such and got nothing.

I know my brother has done side stuff and has made some decent money on some of them.

The problem is even if I get paid it's not worth my time. I just plain don't want to do it. My favorite type of computer work is helping someone in need. Not like this. Plus they expect you to know everything. People tend to forget my specialty was hardware, not software. You want a hard drive or motherboard replaced I am your man. Why something isn't working in Quickbooks? I have no clue either and you probably know more about it than me. It takes away my time. Go take it to a computer store lady and see how much they are going to charge you. The whole point being I don't want the money I want my time. I left that world behind me.

The problem is even if I get paid it's not worth my time. I just plain don't want to do it. My favorite type of computer work is helping someone in need. Not like this. Plus they expect you to know everything. People tend to forget my specialty was hardware, not software. You want a hard drive or motherboard replaced I am your man. Why something isn't working in Quickbooks? I have no clue either and you probably know more about it than me. It takes away my time. Go take it to a computer store lady and see how much they are going to charge you. The whole point being I don't want the money I want my time. I left that world behind me.
Yes exactly.

Yeah. I have only done a few "side jobs" since leaving working for you. I basically worked on them during lunch or breaks at work instead of taking home. I did get paid for these though and were not very difficult. Thing is I am not good in asking for much and basically say whatever they feel is fair is fine. I probably got way less than what the work was worth but still better than not getting anything.I know years back did a few things for friends and once I was paid when I didn't want or ask for anything but it was one of those where they hand you the money and say just take it. Another time I did 2 computers full reloads I think and such and got nothing.
I know my brother has done side stuff and has made some decent money on some of them.
I'm like you and never ask for anything. I've only been handed the money a couple of times, many other times said don't worry about it.  The only nice side paying job was tutoring math for a manager in Probability and Statistics less than two years ago.  Recently, I tutored Calculus (much harder) for a previous co-worker friend, but didn't ask for anything, though I put in many hours.  The satisfaction of helping is helps in itself, but can be frustrating and take a lot of personal time away.

The satisfaction of helping is helps in itself
This, I would rather do it for nothing as long as I got the satisfaction. But people always want more.

but can be frustrating and take a lot of personal time away.
I just don't have the time anymore with a full time job, family, and WoW. ;)

So I just got back from this Ladies house yet again that needed computer help, spent another two hours. I still have changes on her website also before going live. She decided to pay me tonight. I had a low number in my mind. But what she paid me was about 3 times as low. I'm like you got to be kidding me. I spent 6 hours so far helping you at your house with computer work and two and a half weeks building you a website from scratch, no wordpress etc. all done though Notepad except for a few scripts, and you pay me for about maybe two hours of normal work at my old job. Pathetic. But whatever I don't care, I will be glad to be done with you. That alone is worth the low figure. Just like I have said before. The people that have tons of money are the cheapest people in life, while a man with nothing to his name will buy you dinner.

Too bad man, at least it helps sets your expectations for helping people in the future. Who's going to run her website? Hopefully she doesn't keep knocking on your door in the future.

Too bad man, at least it helps sets your expectations for helping people in the future. Who's going to run her website? Hopefully she doesn't keep knocking on your door in the future.
You know how it goes, you touch it once your responsible for life. It's funny the data transfer alone I did from her old computer is the same amount she paid me for everything. She had a quote from someone else who wanted to charge her $5000. She paid me $250. Not including the data transfer and two evening at over 2 hours a piece fixing stuff on her computer. But whatever.

You know how it goes, you touch it once your responsible for life. It's funny the data transfer alone I did from her old computer is the same amount she paid me for everything. She had a quote from someone else who wanted to charge her $5000. She paid me $250. Not including the data transfer and two evening at over 2 hours a piece fixing stuff on her computer. But whatever.
I mean and know $250 is $250 but man that's a lot of work. I guess though you could try and say to yourself "a better man takes whats given and does not become angry or bitter". I just made that up sort of(based some on life stuff and Bible verses) and need to learn to follow those words as well. 

I mean and know $250 is $250 but man that's a lot of work. I guess though you could try and say to yourself "a better man takes whats given and does not become angry or bitter". I just made that up sort of(based some on life stuff and Bible verses) and need to learn to follow those words as well. 
Basically I am man, you know I made the other changes she wanted this morning, and I am pretty proud of my work. All hand coded to. For the past year I have been trying to be Humble. The way I am looking at it is it paid for my Daughters trampoline and if she is happy then it was all worth it.

Basically I am man, you know I made the other changes she wanted this morning, and I am pretty proud of my work. All hand coded to. For the past year I have been trying to be Humble. The way I am looking at it is it paid for my Daughters trampoline and if she is happy then it was all worth it.
But you should have been able to get ten trampolines...That's how i am too, like my tutoring i just did this last semester in calculus for an old co worker friend. She would have  probably paid something, but i didn't want to charge anything, just what she felt. She got great results and I put in many hours of work (40+) out of my own and family time. She was grateful, and have me a gift basket and offered me dinner with her family once in a while, i just know i did a good favor and could repay itself I the future.

I know everything is not based on hours of work, but when you put it in those terms, it's surprising. The only exception is family and friends where I'd never even think of any payment.

What is this site you created?  Are you able to share a link?  (I understand if you cannot or do not want to do so here)

What is this site you created?  Are you able to share a link?  (I understand if you cannot or do not want to do so here)
I haven't pushed it live, should go tomorrow, but if your still interested when I do I can send you a PM if you want to look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't pushed it live, should go tomorrow, but if your still interested when I do I can send you a PM if you want to look at it.
Cool, i'd be interested in seeing

Just got a huge email from this lady now wanting all these other changes done. *sigh.

Just got a huge email from this lady now wanting all these other changes done. *sigh.
DUN GOOFED!Send a reply with a quote for said services.

Last edited by a moderator:
DUN GOOFED!Send a reply with a quote for said services.
Just getting sick of it. I honestly just want it to be over.

Still haven't finished this yet. I thought I was all done ready to push the final out then she sends me an email with some changes (easy stuff), but then decides she wants this custom form so that when someone emails it has all the info already filled out. I basically told her it's beyond my capabilities.

Back