What's new

Do you like to Garden as a hobby?

ndboarder

Well-known member
Member
Well as seen in the recent purchase, we picked up a number of items last night to start work on the flower garden that surrounds the outside of our townhome.  One of these days when rain isn't in the forcast I need to get out and spray round up on everything.  There is a lot of crab grass in the garden area.  We attempted to start weeding, but it was nearly impossible to get the roots.  If you did get one all the way, it was over a foot long root, so I've decided I will kill them off completely with round-up then pull them up.  The plan then will be to plant the flowers, get some wood chips or something laid down over the rest to deter weed growth.

Most of our garden faces south and west, so we planted a lot of seeds for high sunlight/heat flowers.  We did plant one packet of impatiens which are a shade loving plant, as there is a bit on the north side of our deck that will not get much direct light.

To start the plants we have a large planter that has 72 compartments.  Each had a little tablet of "stuff" in it which we added 1 oz. of water to.  This tablet then expands into seed starting soil that fills the compartment.  Kinda crazy actually, considering the size of the tablet and the size of the compartment it expanded to fill.  Once done you plant the seeds and there is a clear lid to place over it (green house effect).  The nicest thing though is that each compartment has  hole in the bottom.  Commonly you would have a large plastic tray that these seeding compartments went into and exess water would drain out of these holes.  With this thing, the tray on the bottom is filled with water, then a stand sits in the water and a piece of fabric goes over the stand, draping down into the water.  On top of this fabric sits the planted seeds in their compartments.  The cloth soaks up water and the soil can soak up the water as needed from the cloth as needed.  Nice to just worry about the amount of water in the tray and not have to individually water everything.

 
No "Green Thumbs" out there with suggestions?  The clouds broke up and the sun is out, so I decided it must not want to rain.  Anything currently green, or sprouting in the flower bed has officially been round up'ed.  Guess in the next few days I should know if I missed anything.  The bottle claims it's rain proof in 30 minutes, so hopefully it doesn't magically begin to down pour before 7:00 CST... I mean CDT (right LK... :roll: ) 
 
The people we bought the house from left some shit in the yard because it was all covered with snow.  They'll have it out this weekend and then we will start planting after work.

I don't have a green thumb by any means, but we are going to plant vegetables and maybe a rose tree.  Rose trees are supposed to be easier to take care of then a bush.

There are a few links you can find from nd.gov that shows what will grow in ND and how to grow it to.  I found it surprising that Asparagus grows well up here.  I think that there was a berry that grew well too, I mean there are lots, I was just surprised.  Anyway I like asparagus so I  am looking forward to that.  Also there is some Purple cauliflower that I am looking forward to.

I want to get some of those hanging tomato baskets too.  There are a few books I am interested in.  One is called Square foot gardening; you work in 3' or 4' square plot and on that plot you make a 9 square grid pattern.  Its supposed to cut down on the amount of space used because you can at the plants from any side and since there are no rows, there is less weeding. 

The other is about companion planting; basically certain plants grow well with  each other. 

I have some ideas, well see what actually gets accomplished.  I haven't worked in a garden in over ten years.   

 
The people we bought the house from left some shit in the yard because it was all covered with snow.  They'll have it out this weekend and then we will start planting after work.I don't have a green thumb by any means, but we are going to plant vegetables and maybe a rose tree.  Rose trees are supposed to be easier to take care of then a bush.
There are a few links you can find from nd.gov that shows what will grow in ND and how to grow it to.  I found it surprising that Asparagus grows well up here.  I think that there was a berry that grew well too, I mean there are lots, I was just surprised.  Anyway I like asparagus so I  am looking forward to that.  Also there is some Purple cauliflower that I am looking forward to.

I want to get some of those hanging tomato baskets too.  There are a few books I am interested in.  One is called Square foot gardening; you work in 3' or 4' square plot and on that plot you make a 9 square grid pattern.  Its supposed to cut down on the amount of space used because you can at the plants from any side and since there are no rows, there is less weeding. 

The other is about companion planting; basically certain plants grow well with  each other. 

I have some ideas, well see what actually gets accomplished.  I haven't worked in a garden in over ten years.   
It's surprising how many people pick wild asparagus.

 
The people we bought the house from left some shit in the yard because it was all covered with snow.  They'll have it out this weekend and then we will start planting after work.I don't have a green thumb by any means, but we are going to plant vegetables and maybe a rose tree.  Rose trees are supposed to be easier to take care of then a bush.
There are a few links you can find from nd.gov that shows what will grow in ND and how to grow it to.  I found it surprising that Asparagus grows well up here.  I think that there was a berry that grew well too, I mean there are lots, I was just surprised.  Anyway I like asparagus so I  am looking forward to that.  Also there is some Purple cauliflower that I am looking forward to.

I want to get some of those hanging tomato baskets too.  There are a few books I am interested in.  One is called Square foot gardening; you work in 3' or 4' square plot and on that plot you make a 9 square grid pattern.  Its supposed to cut down on the amount of space used because you can at the plants from any side and since there are no rows, there is less weeding. 

The other is about companion planting; basically certain plants grow well with  each other. 

I have some ideas, well see what actually gets accomplished.  I haven't worked in a garden in over ten years.   
Thats crazy i thought Asparagus has to grow in sandy soil?

 
Thats crazy i thought Asparagus has to grow in sandy soil?
Here is the website I was talking about. http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/vegetable.htmlHere is the one about Asparagus

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/hortcrop/h61w.htm

Soil and SiteAsparagus can be grown on most any type of soil that is well drained. For large market garden plantings' date=' site preparation should be started a year or more in advance of planting crowns. This aids in complete control of hard-to-kill perennial weeds, such as quackgrass, Canada thistle, etc., before planting. If barnyard manure is not available, a heavy green manure crop (soybeans or sweet clover) should be plowed down the preceding year to add as much organic matter as possible. Small home garden plots may be prepared a year ahead or planted directly if the area is free of noxious weeds. Barnyard manure, compost or peat incorporated into the soil the fall before planting will enhance growth and establishment of asparagus.
[/quote']

I wanted to post them earlier, but I didn't have time to look them up.
 
My parents like to garden and it's fun. I helped them with it when I lived at home but I really can't offer much advice.
 
We have quite a few plants taking off.  We started a whole lot of seeds last tuesday.  Friday the Morning Glories began popping up and were transplanted Saturday to larger pots.  They were getting too tall (1-2 inches).  The plant starter the gal had has a clear dome that they were hitting so they had to come out.  In all there is probably about 20 of them that came up.  Now there are 3-4 of the Moon flowers starting to poke through as well.

Mowed the yard for the first time on Saturday.  I also sprayed down some broadleaf/crabgrass killer on the yard.  Hoping it works.  Raining here today, but once it dries up I need to apply some more.  I have also been considering trying to replace the grass.

I saw an ad in my Family Handyman magazine for Zoysia grass (http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/) and I also noticed on some of the chemicals I purchased that they had mixes for lawns with this grass.  Supposedly it grows well almost anywhere, in any soil condition.  It also supposedly grows so well and thick that it chokes out weeds and such as well as supposedly cutting down on the need for watering and less mowing.  $50 or so for 1000 plugs to start with. 

 
My dads obsessive with killing weeds.
I fear I will be this way.  I spent all day saturday outside, just trying to find anything I could do for an excuse not to sit inside working on some actual work projects.  Got a light burn on my shoulders even.  Also, was home over lunch hour and a few more moon flowers are coming, and a number of sweet pea plants are beginning to pop up now as well (not actual peas, just a goofy flower name)

 
My dads obsessive with killing weeds.
I fear I will be this way.  I spent all day saturday outside, just trying to find anything I could do for an excuse not to sit inside working on some actual work projects.  Got a light burn on my shoulders even.  Also, was home over lunch hour and a few more moon flowers are coming, and a number of sweet pea plants are beginning to pop up now as well (not actual peas, just a goofy flower name)
Wait, you have to work on work projects in your own personal time? Forget that. Maybe in the winter but never in the summer.

 
My dads obsessive with killing weeds.
I fear I will be this way.  I spent all day saturday outside, just trying to find anything I could do for an excuse not to sit inside working on some actual work projects.  Got a light burn on my shoulders even.  Also, was home over lunch hour and a few more moon flowers are coming, and a number of sweet pea plants are beginning to pop up now as well (not actual peas, just a goofy flower name)
Wait, you have to work on work projects in your own personal time? Forget that. Maybe in the winter but never in the summer.
Summer is the best time for projects.  Warm outside, longer days, no need to burn a lot of propane or run up an electric bill heating the work area.  Tis the season for projects

 
I think Corey was refering to you mentioning that you had projects for work aka Microsoft,  to do inside during the summer.
 
I think Corey was refering to you mentioning that you had projects for work aka Microsoft,  to do inside during the summer.
Ah, forgot about them... yeah, darn work...  Have to have some training material created by next week.  Sitting on my couch working on it right now in fact

 
Well, we picked up some plants yesterday, as well as a lot of decorative items to stick in the flower bed with them.  Also a couple of trellises (is that trellii in plural?).  Planted a lot of what we had started in doors a couple of months ago.  Ma and Pa are coming to town today and bringing one more trellis for us to use.  Once everything is setup decent maybe I'll get a pic or two on here of what was done, and some follow ups in a few months when things have grown and began blooming.
 
I finally started to water this weekend. I've been kinda considering not doing it since it just means the grass will grow faster and i will have to cut the lawn more.
 
I finally started to water this weekend. I've been kinda considering not doing it since it just means the grass will grow faster and i will have to cut the lawn more.
Well, it's got to be done.

 
Back
Top