What's new

Game streaming hardware

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Member
Has anyone got into game streaming? Weather your on PC, Xbox, etc.? I know it's quite popular anymore with Twitch and other services. People normally do it for money and tips, but I just think it would be neat just to stream it. Looking into it you need a hardware capture device that passes the feed though the device. Then I believe you just tie it into the streaming service. Just wondering if anyone else has explored it?

https://www.elgato.com/en

 
Last edited by a moderator:
It depends what you want to stream. If you are going to stream your PC gameplay you don't really need hardware, just software - and a PC capable of handling both the game and processing the stream.

The better option used by most large streamers is a dual PC setup, where you have a gaming PC to play on and a streaming PC that has a capture card that takes input from the gaming PC and handles the stream side of things.

Some consoles also have streaming capability build in. You can stream directly from your Xbox to Twitch for example. Now if you want to have a face cam, overlay and all that stuff you would need a streaming PC with capture card to feed the console input and run the stream from the PC.

Most would say if you just want to get into it for the heck of it to go with the simplest setup and treat it as a hobby. Don't drop a lot of money on a huge setup given the limited few that are able to turn a profit from streaming. If the goal is to move to that kind of setup, start simple and build up reinvesting anything you do make overtime into a bigger setup. For those that can afford it and just want to build a streaming rig for the hell of it and have the cash then go for it.

On the software most use the original OBS or the newer StreamLabs OBS (less feature rich, but easier to use as I understand it)

 
You seem to know quite a bit about it @ndboarder . Do you stream?
No. I've streamed a couple times from my Xbox one a few years ago, but never with any intention of someone seeing it, there was a point where you could get some cosmetics in a game if you streamed enough hours of it, so I did. I do watch quite a bit streaming though, so have heard and picked things up quite a bit. The number 1 tip, never go into some other channel and ask for a shoutout or attempt to promote your own stream. That will get you quickly banned and generally a poor reputation within whatever game community you are trying to get into.
There's also services that could give you more capability without a streaming PC or capture card. GoLightstream.com is one example I know of, but I don't know how well it really works.

 
I am like you, I am not looking to get huge, but more for myself and if a friend wanted to hop in and watch me, cool, and if not I just continue doing my normal stuff.
 
Back
Top