What's new

Home Automation

I don't really have a need to monitor the inside of my house, especially if the outside were monitored. Dogs are always around, and work opposing shifts with the gal, so generally the house isn't empty for more than a few hours a day.I am a little surprised nodle has a PTZ capable camera in his house linked to the NSAnet though...
Sorry I don't have a xbox one. ;)
 
Sorry I don't have a xbox one. ;)
The Xbox One Kinect does not PTZ, it's just an HD wide angle that will zoom. I guess I should've seen that coming, but thanks for derailing.You do have a PTZ camera and if you have an app on your phone it's obviously an IP camera that is internet accessible, not a CCTV system.

 
Wasn't quite sure whether to put this here, or whether to start up some new thread. I'll leave it here as I don't know if there will be much further discussion on it.

I've played a bit with Microsoft's Lab of Things, which is at the moment mostly a rough developer framework for the internet of things/home automation and working with them. It's entirely geared toward developers/enthusiasts and building out your own stuff at the moment.

If anyone finds that thought interesting, or just likes free stuff check out the link below. Currently if you sign up, you'll get an email asking you to go out and give more information (shipping address), then you'll get a second email about a dev kit that will eventually be shipped. Seems you can get a free Intel Galileo board to play with as part of the dev kit.

https://www.windowsondevices.com/

 
Pretty cool. Looks like they want to compete with the Raspberry Pi. I am sure @WayneKerr will be all over this.
Intel probably does, but I don't think this Intel board is really a competitor to the Pi. The hummingboard and others are more competing in that space, the Galileo doesn't even have a video output. I guess it is another SoC, just not sure this specific one would compete with the Raspberry Pi.I think this particular board is more intended just to be something to interface with or run in devices that would be part of the IoT (internet of things). Probably more something to control connected appliances (fridge, washer, dryer, etc) or run applications on them. I guess with enough development a person could make it do whatever you wanted within limits of the hardware specifications

 
Bring up this older thread.  Haven't updated on my setup in a while and made recent changes.

This past summer I ran some wire to a ceiling fan so the fan and lights could be on separate switches - then put a dimmer on the lights and a speed control module on the fan - both are z-wave so can be controlled through my existing controller.   Also added some door sensors to be able to control scenes based on doors opening/closing and such, plus just monitoring capabilities.  The final addition at that time was a couple garage door controllers that can open/close the overhead doors and also lets me check to ensure they are closed.  No home alone moments wondering if I forgot to close the garage doors, and if they do happen to get left open can close it from anywhere.

More recently, I just installed and setup the Ring video doorbell.  It's been in place less than 24 hours, but app on my PC's and phone seem to work well.  Even without their cloud recording service I can view clips it has recorded from anywhere at the moment and it records anytime someone rings the bell or motion is detected.  I'm not sure I'll often "answer" the call on my phone when someone rings, but it will be nice to quickly see who is at the door and decide if I want to go answer the door or not without peeking out a window and maybe being seen (then feeling guilty if the neighbor kid spots me while he tries to sell cookies so I have to answer instead of just ignoring).  I also like that the motion sensing means I will be notified and be able to see if packages are delivered, or if someone attempts to go up and take a delivered package. 

You can either just mount it and run on battery (supposedly up to 3 months) but then you have to take it down and charge it when batteries are low.  I went for the other option, which was to wire it to the existing doorbell.  Benefits are that it doesn't ever need charging and that it actually rings the existing doorbell.  I also got the Chime add-on, so while it does cause the actual doorbell to ring, there's now also a tone played from Chime downstairs so ensure it can be heard. The one slight disappointment  with ring is you cannot just open a live stream of the video at any point in time - either a doorbell ring, or motion detection is necessary.  Something they could add though as it would just be software changes, and with their announcement of their security cameras I could see that changing sooner than later

Lastly, I recently pre-ordered a new Z-wave controller.  I have the Vera3, which is great, but they have a new controller coming out that has a few improvements.  the biggest improvements are that the new one will have ZigBee and Bluetooth radios, so that opens the door to some other home automation devices that don't have to be Z-wave or something on WiFi with an API for developers to write a custom plug-in. 

 
More recently, I just installed and setup the Ring video doorbell.
This is pretty cool. I have seen a few of these. What's next the "flush your toilet app" Hmmm I wouldn't be surprised if they have one of these on the market?

 
I also wouldn't be surprised if one is on the market.  Next for me is that I still have a couple door sensors I need to install.  I have recessed sensors that go into the door frame rather than having to have sensors stuck to the inside of the frame and door in plain view.  I also have one light switch I need to take the time to swap out.

Beyond that, there's a few interesting things out there for blinds, windows, etc that would be neat, but no immediate needs.  I have considered upgrading my thermostat, but really don't have a good reason too do so. 

The biggest project will be when the new controller arrives as I'll have to unpair the devices from the current controller (simple) and then pair them all with the new one (little more tedious work).  I should also do some more with geo-fencing capabilities, home/away settings for triggering more alerts, and maybe using IFTTT to get a little more advanced things going on.

 
I have considered upgrading my thermostat, but really don't have a good reason too do so. 
I was going to ask about this but figured it was one of the first things you would had done. I have been around the Honeywell one that is really nice. Touch wifi etc. But then there is the Nest which I would probably spring for if I was going to get one.

 
I have a Radio Thermostat (maybe an older version of the cheaper one at the link below)- something that was in home depot or lowes before Nest ever existed.  I've considered going to a Nest, but they don't really do anything that special compared to every other WiFi thermostat out there.  If I had just a plain non-programmable thermostat then I'd consider one.  Given my current can be programmed directly on the device, the website or a number of apps there's little need for an upgrade.  Mostly with a thermostat though all you'll ever do is setup your heating/cooling schedule for the week and be done with it.  The only thing I ever do with the thermostat from my home automation app is to check in on the temp in the house if we happen to be out of town for more than a day - which in itself is a great reason to have one since I have once had to have a buddy go over to the house and check on why the furnace wasn't heating like it should be.

http://www.radiothermostat.com/wifi/

 
Most recent updates to my home automation are:

1) Ring doorbell for front door

2) Replaced my Vera3 controller with the new Vera Plus controller.  Still primarily a Z-wave controller, but faster processor to handle more devices, and now includes Bluetooth and ZigBee radios on top of the Zwave and WiFi, so it can talk to a wider assortment of devices as well.  Gives some more options for future additions

 
I haven't done a ton with automation lately.  System is stable and haven't had a big need to add to it.  Along the lines of automation though I have been looking at security products.

I currently have one HikVision DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 mounted in the front of the garage.  It was larger when it came than I expected, but I guess being noticeable is an additional deterrent.

I have an 8 port POE network video record from Hikvision as well.  DS-7616NI-E2/8P 8CH (I think).  Toss in a couple HDD of your chosen size plug in the network cable going to the camera and you're up and running. 

I also have one DS-2CD2042WD-I from HikVision on order to add to the back of the house.  This is a smaller bullet (by far) and the main difference is in the night vision range, but should be decent enough for what I need (would've been fine in front too I think). 

Long term I'll likely add anywhere from 2-6 more cameras around the place to cover the yard and make a little better use of the NVR.  I may also tie in Blue Iris software once I repurpose my media center PC, just to record clips as MP4 in certain scenarios (motion detection basically) that I could have it store in OneDrive to be uploaded and stored remotely.

 
I have been researching using the Home app on Apple to control some things.

 
I went home and added a few things, the only problem is my bulbs were Phillips Hue bulbs, but I don't have a hub. I might just buy a couple of new compatible bulbs and replace them.
 
So got my new bulbs last night. In case anyone is wondering, your Apple TV or Homepod has a Matter hub built in. Any Matter device should connect to it. added some bulbs to it. You can change them to any color you want and Siri works 100% better than Alexa did. I can't wait to mess with turning the lights on or off when you come and go from home. No more wondering if you left a light on when you leave.
 
Back
Top