Lets discuss Barbecuers

I got to try out my new knife set on a tri tip yesterday. I see why they call it a brisket knife, that thing sliced like butter through the meat. Impressive!

Last edited by a moderator:
I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Blackstone on Monday. They didn't have the one I wanted in stock or I would have bought it. Now though I keep seeing how obsessive people are with their seasoning of their grills, and I don't know if I want that stress in my life.

I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Blackstone on Monday. They didn't have the one I wanted in stock or I would have bought it. Now though I keep seeing how obsessive people are with their seasoning of their grills, and I don't know if I want that stress in my life.
I have seen people season them, usually with several beers drank in the process. I suppose it's like seasoning a cast iron pan. Gotta be done.

I have seen people season them, usually with several beers drank in the process. I suppose it's like seasoning a cast iron pan. Gotta be done.
Ya but I have been reading posts and guys get obsessive, I'm talking like 20 coats etc. Seems like a headache. I have seasoned a wok before and I am sure it's the same thing. The trick is to get a coat and put a light oil on at the end for next time. There are a lot of foods that will naturally do the seasoning like onions, bacon grease etc. I am sure it's like anything these guys just get over into it. Sounds like someone I know, myself.

Ya but I have been reading posts and guys get obsessive, I'm talking like 20 coats etc. Seems like a headache. I have seasoned a wok before and I am sure it's the same thing. The trick is to get a coat and put a light oil on at the end for next time. There are a lot of foods that will naturally do the seasoning like onions, bacon grease etc. I am sure it's like anything these guys just get over into it. Sounds like someone I know, myself.
Yeah I could see you buying some top of the line organic oils that cost 10 times the normal stuff that does just as good of job.

I spent the evening last night cleaning my grill inside. I have cooked many burgers on my grill before. But the last ones we got were so greasy, it like destroyed the inside of my grill. I spent over a half hour just trying to get the grease of the sides etc. Never again. I have been spoiled cooking all those tri tips since there is no grease.

I spent the evening last night cleaning my grill inside. I have cooked many burgers on my grill before. But the last ones we got were so greasy, it like destroyed the inside of my grill. I spent over a half hour just trying to get the grease of the sides etc. Never again. I have been spoiled cooking all those tri tips since there is no grease.
Yeah mine is permanently caked in there. Doesn't bother me though. It happens when you use the grill as much as I do. Use it more than our oven.

Yeah mine is permanently caked in there. Doesn't bother me though. It happens when you use the grill as much as I do. Use it more than our oven.
I wouldn't say min is permeantly caked. I have the official Treager degreaser and it works pretty well, but takes some elbow grease and a bunch of blue shop towels to get it knocked down. Grease is natural but this was go around looked like the bathroom when @C Pav walks out. It was everywhere.

I have been reading this afternoon about Lavalock. It's basically a seal that you put around your Treager lid, to help seal in smoke and heat. I might have to pick up some. There is not much to install.

Truly one of the best investments you can make with increasing the performance on your unit. My results after installing Lavalock are night and day; quicker cook times and a deeper smoke flavor.
Amazon.com : 1/2" x 1/8" LavaLock High Temp BBQ Gasket Smoker Seal for Nomex Door Lid, Self Stick Grey : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Last edited by a moderator:
I read a little bit more about this, and for the cost it can't hurt anything so I ordered some.

I have been watching Bacon Candy videos this morning. I have not done bacon on my Treager but everyone says it's good on a Treager.

Installed my LavaLock tonight. First thing is use a food safe degreaser and get the edges as clean as possible. Then you need to use rubbing alcohol on the edges. The application is pretty was pretty easy, just take your time and line up to the edge as you slowly run it down. Also don't stretch it, just let it roll out slowly peeling the tape back as you progress. Make sure to have a razor blade handy to cut it. Mine turned out perfect, just take your time. It's so much of a better seal when you close the top. It even sounds better. After application you need to let it dry for 12-24 hours. 

I just wanted to say I am impressed with the LavaLock product. Yesterday was my first grill with it installed. First off when you first start your Treager and it's set on smoke mode to get started, there was a night a day difference with smoke leak. Normally it would be coming out the side of the lid, this time only out my stack and grease port. It came bellowing out thick. But there was another nice surprise and that was a more balanced temperature. I verified this by my Meater + after cooking. It charts and graphs your temps and fluctuations. With the LavaLock my temps were steadier, which in theory means less fuel burn as well. A great product for the price.

I just wanted to say I am impressed with the LavaLock product. Yesterday was my first grill with it installed. First off when you first start your Treager and it's set on smoke mode to get started, there was a night a day difference with smoke leak. Normally it would be coming out the side of the lid, this time only out my stack and grease port. It came bellowing out thick. But there was another nice surprise and that was a more balanced temperature. I verified this by my Meater + after cooking. It charts and graphs your temps and fluctuations. With the LavaLock my temps were steadier, which in theory means less fuel burn as well. A great product for the price.
Why do traegers not have a good gasket to start with? They cost enough.

I don't think your meat can be any more tender.

I don't know if any of you have seen this, but I saw a local appliance store carrying these. It looks like GE has made an indoor smoker. I would have to see it to believe it. I would think your whole house would smell like smoke.

Back