What's new

My MAME cabinet.

ryanator

Well-known member
Member
I mostly finished with my MAME cabinet, a vewlix styled one, it's a popular Japanese sit-down arcade machine. It's playable in it's current state, just needs a front frame around the monitor and mount speakers, and the vewlix has a top rounded part framed out, but maybe some day later on that. I'm also going to put in a slightly bigger monitor instead of the current 19" sitting there. Here a link to best view the pictures in s decent size compared to the embeded ones below: http://cid-6c15d8c247757f22.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/.MobilePhotos

Here are the picture directly, they embed them very big.

http://4nygfg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1prhdxR9V1n9Gt3uKY8TKKfgk2Y9V3wCJ29iFaPmApUlMCpK2qHSRM46l3iDi8w0hxuJG8A4YjP4s2UwejQYqG_BKB3GqfmS93/IMAGE_062.jpg?psid=1http://4nygfg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pz0mbcsUUvqFtj7Vj484L3yovrOg_58dfCrTBUURhfuWuRGISGe2NDIMI-BSPdvXC8zfu85ZqLPFZL5nKsHFhb9tJYq89xUwL/IMAGE_061.jpg?psid=1http://4nygfg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1prxJcbUPhYjkQ62qYT0D_dvIAV7e4HXd-dPAHdifRaoVP4x7zAW608r9vpyAVunMwtYISavGL-i5XiSEXKsrWQcW43Yxy3af_/IMAGE_060.jpg?psid=1

 
Dam dude that is impressive work! That even turned out better than I thought! I really like it. Nice work! :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up:
 
Dam dude that is impressive work! That even turned out better than I thought! I really like it. Nice work! :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up:
Thanks. I put in about 20 hours. It was made out of 3/4" MDF board, I filled all seams with wood filler and sanded it smooth. I primed it with 2 coats and put on 2 coats of paint. In the pictures you may notice at the base, between the blue and black, something off color, that's the plastic sheeting I put there to protect the paint as I slid the base into place which can be taken out or cut down to not show. I also put on a plexiglass top on the control board. The control board itselft opens up at the front and is hinged on the back for easy access inside to the buttons and KeyWiz button emulator.I'm still having trouble with a front end using the popular Hyperspin as it give me errors opening up ROM's (even though I have everything directed to the right directories and xml naming schemes, sigh..) so I'm playing games manually right now.

I tested out Super Mario World (hard to play using arcade controls compared to SNES pad, just have to get used to it), I also played Tecmo Super Bowl for Nintendo, NBA Jam TE for MAME, and Mario Kart 64 (which is hard on an 8 way joystick). I'll probably pick up a pair of Xbox 360 wireless controller's for the PC to play some of the more modern games.

 
Ya I have heard that you can use the wireless xbox controllers on a PC. I think Logistech makes one for that PC that almost looks like an xbox360 controller. You should add one of those roll balls in the center for old games like centipede etc. But over all that is some amazing work! I like how you have room for a bigger monitor or even a LCD.
 
The PC is a Pentium 4 3.06 HyperThread with 3GB of ram. I'm also just using the integrated graphics as my PCI GeForce 6200 256mb card had a slower frame rate via tests and seemed more of a bottleneck. Though I heard emulators don't use much of the graphics card anyways.
 
That's the nice thing about MAMEing, is that it doesn't take a powerful top end computer to run. Unless you start getting into PS2 type stuff and when the day comes, modern system games.
 
Those are referred to as bartops. They are quite popular due to there size and semi-portable nature.

Here are some other small examples of some I am watching:

Bender

A folding bartop

These are different in that they are just drawings. I haven't seen anyone build anything that folds like this or is this scale

 
Ryanator, how is the arcade cab? Does it get a lot of play?
Didn't see this, has been two years since your post. I played it for a while with some classic games. I never got the hyperspin overlay going (makes it so it boots up into a mame arcade style selection screen). I then didn't use it as much as I wanted. After renting my house out, we took it over to my brother's.

 
It's at my house now like mentioned. It's nice but with life, work, wife, kid...I just don't use it. Now we just end up spending our time keeping our son away from it because he now likes to try and grab the cables and other stuff behind it.
 
Back
Top