http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29691183MOSCOW - Russian strategic bombers may be based in Cuba in the future, a Russian Air Force chief told Interfax news agency on Saturday.Maj. Gen. Anatoly Zhikharev, chief of staff of Russia's long-range aviation, said Cuba had air bases with four or five suitable runways.Interfax reported that he said Cuba could be used to base Russian bombers if the two countries "display a political will", adding "we are ready to fly there."
Story continues below ?advertisement | your ad here
Zhikharev also said that Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has offered an island as a temporary base for Russian planes.
Zhikharev said Chavez had offered "a whole island with an airdrome, which we can use as a temporary base for strategic bombers," the agency reported. "If there is a corresponding political decision, then the use of the island ... by the Russian Air Force is possible."
Two Russian bombers landed in Venezuela last year in what experts said was the first Western Hemisphere touchdown of Russian military craft since the end of the Cold War.
Cuba has never permanently hosted Russian or Soviet strategic aircraft. But Soviet short-range bombers often made stopovers there during the Cold War.
Russia resumed long-range bomber patrols in 2007 after a 15-year hiatus.
I disagree.If i was America i would never think that Russia is anywhere behind us in technology. I guarantee that they have stuff like us that would blow your mind.
Why do you think that? Do you really think they have been laying low all this time. Russia is not a poor country. They may want you to think this way, but they are not. I actually read a report one time that now it hold the most "millionaires" in the entire world. But back on technology. Let's just say that the USA wasn't the only country to get secrets from the Nazis.I disagree.If i was America i would never think that Russia is anywhere behind us in technology. I guarantee that they have stuff like us that would blow your mind.
Wow, that's great, the Nazis, I definitely think we should look at something 60 years ago as top of the line technology. Yeah, the Nazis were at the forefront, but who made the bomb first? That's right, America.No, I don't think the Russians have been laying low, but they definitely don't have the same factors working for them that we do. Yeah, they've made advances in their technology, but I think a majority of Russians have a hard enough time finding food to eat let alone making groundbreaking discoveries in technology. I'd be more worried about China than anyone else. I'm drunk and could probably write this a lot better when sober. I hope I got the point across.Why do you think that? Do you really think they have been laying low all this time. Russia is not a poor country. They may want you to think this way, but they are not. I actually read a report one time that now it hold the most "millionaires" in the entire world. But back on technology. Let's just say that the USA wasn't the only country to get secrets from the Nazis.I disagree.If i was America i would never think that Russia is anywhere behind us in technology. I guarantee that they have stuff like us that would blow your mind.
You think America made the bomb first? Wrong. There are countless stories about them kidnapping ex-nazi scientists and bringing them to the Nevada desert. I remember reading about them because they found the warm weather strange. I mean who after all created the V2 rocket? To look back and think, "well that was along time ago and they were old so they didn't have the technology like we do today". Where do you think half of our technology came from? There are so many ideas that came from them in just a small amount of time it's actually scary. Now lets look at Russia. Look back at the MIG jet, yes it's old now but at the time the American plains couldn't maneuver like them and were scared to get in dogfights with them. Look at the subs they have. Even today their subs are far superior to ours. There was a story about 2 years ago (might be posted on here) on how our American subs and some other countries were playing war games or something and right in the middle of it a Russian sub pops right up the disappears. Basically to say 'we still have you beat'. I remember reading the report and American military couldn't believe they could show up undetected like that. Plus they have their own GPS satellites not re-liant on ours. I won't even get into they 'weird' stuff I think they have. I am just saying your thoughts on their country is exactly what they want you to believe. But if you think they are just some poor run down country that's cold and nothing but poor people living there, you have another thing coming. I know the USA fear war with them. But I totally agree with you on China also. But that is for another conversation.Wow, that's great, the Nazis, I definitely think we should look at something 60 years ago as top of the line technology. Yeah, the Nazis were at the forefront, but who made the bomb first? That's right, America.No, I don't think the Russians have been laying low, but they definitely don't have the same factors working for them that we do. Yeah, they've made advances in their technology, but I think a majority of Russians have a hard enough time finding food to eat let alone making groundbreaking discoveries in technology. I'd be more worried about China than anyone else. I'm drunk and could probably write this a lot better when sober. I hope I got the point across.Why do you think that? Do you really think they have been laying low all this time. Russia is not a poor country. They may want you to think this way, but they are not. I actually read a report one time that now it hold the most "millionaires" in the entire world. But back on technology. Let's just say that the USA wasn't the only country to get secrets from the Nazis.I disagree.If i was America i would never think that Russia is anywhere behind us in technology. I guarantee that they have stuff like us that would blow your mind.
Basically Russia hasn't had the needed economic factors necessary to advance its technology.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Stories are great Nodle, but who used the bomb first? There's a story about a little girl sleeping in three bear's house too, doesn't make it true. Sometimes stories are just that, stories. The Nazis having the bomb before us is one such story. Why wouldn't they have used it? It doesn't make sense that if they had it they wouldn't use it.And in regards to the advances in technology that came from those scientists during the war. The same thing can be said about the inventions of Alexander Graham Bell, Ben Franklin or even Johannes Guttenberg. Were they great ideas? Absolutely, but those ideas only go so far.You think America made the bomb first? Wrong. There are countless stories about them kidnapping ex-nazi scientists and bringing them to the Nevada desert. I remember reading about them because they found the warm weather strange. I mean who after all created the V2 rocket? To look back and think, "well that was along time ago and they were old so they didn't have the technology like we do today". Where do you think half of our technology came from? There are so many ideas that came from them in just a small amount of time it's actually scary. Now lets look at Russia. Look back at the MIG jet, yes it's old now but at the time the American plains couldn't maneuver like them and were scared to get in dogfights with them. Look at the subs they have. Even today their subs are far superior to ours. There was a story about 2 years ago (might be posted on here) on how our American subs and some other countries were playing war games or something and right in the middle of it a Russian sub pops right up the disappears. Basically to say 'we still have you beat'. I remember reading the report and American military couldn't believe they could show up undetected like that. Plus they have their own GPS satellites not re-liant on ours. I won't even get into they 'weird' stuff I think they have. I am just saying your thoughts on their country is exactly what they want you to believe. But if you think they are just some poor run down country that's cold and nothing but poor people living there, you have another thing coming. I know the USA fear war with them. But I totally agree with you on China also. But that is for another conversation.Wow, that's great, the Nazis, I definitely think we should look at something 60 years ago as top of the line technology. Yeah, the Nazis were at the forefront, but who made the bomb first? That's right, America.No, I don't think the Russians have been laying low, but they definitely don't have the same factors working for them that we do. Yeah, they've made advances in their technology, but I think a majority of Russians have a hard enough time finding food to eat let alone making groundbreaking discoveries in technology. I'd be more worried about China than anyone else. I'm drunk and could probably write this a lot better when sober. I hope I got the point across.Why do you think that? Do you really think they have been laying low all this time. Russia is not a poor country. They may want you to think this way, but they are not. I actually read a report one time that now it hold the most "millionaires" in the entire world. But back on technology. Let's just say that the USA wasn't the only country to get secrets from the Nazis.I disagree.If i was America i would never think that Russia is anywhere behind us in technology. I guarantee that they have stuff like us that would blow your mind.
Basically Russia hasn't had the needed economic factors necessary to advance its technology.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7947824.stmRussian President Dmitry Medvedev has said Moscow will begin a comprehensive military rearmament from 2011.Mr Medvedev said the primary task would be to "increase the combat readiness of [Russia's] forces, first of all our strategic nuclear forces".Explaining the move, he cited concerns over Nato expansion near Russia's borders and regional conflicts.
Last year, the Kremlin set out plans to increase spending on Russia's armed forces over the next two years.
Russia will spend nearly $140bn (94.5bn) on buying arms up until 2011.
Higher oil revenues in recent years have allowed the Kremlin to increase the military budget, analysts say. But prices have averaged $40 a barrel in 2009 compared with $100 last year.
In his first address to a defence ministry meeting in his capacity as supreme commander, Mr Medvedev said considerable sums are being channelled towards developing and purchasing modern military equipment.
"Despite the financial problems we have to cope with today, the size of these sums has remained virtually the same as planned."
Analysts say the brief war in Georgia exposed problems with outdated equipment and practices within Russia's armed forces and led to calls for military modernisation.
President Medvedev's remarks also appear significant for what they say about the diplomatic game between Moscow and the new administration in the United States, says the BBC's James Rodgers in Moscow.
Both sides are looking for a solution to issues - such as US missile defence plans in Europe - which bitterly divided the Kremlin and the White House during the Bush administration. Neither, though, seems willing simply to abandon previously-held positions, our correspondent adds.
The Russian Security Council is currently developing a new military doctrine which is expected to reflect current and forthcoming international developments, including any changes Nato may set out this year, missile defence deployments and WMD proliferation.
"The Security Council will approve Russia's national security strategy until 2020 in the near future," President Medvedev said.
Russia to build 6 nuclear subs with cruise missilesMOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- Russia will build at least six nuclear-powered submarines with long-range cruise missiles for its navy, a source in the Russian Defense Ministry told the Itar-Tass news agency.
The missiles can potentially carry low-capacity tactical warheads, the news agency reported Friday.
"These supersonic, highly maneuvering missiles are designed for strikes on aircraft carriers of the enemy if the latter poses a direct threat to Russia's security," the unnamed source told Itar-Tass. "The missiles can be launched at the most important coastal facilities."
The source added, "Despite the construction of a new nuclear submarine with new missiles, Russia intends to observe firmly international arms control agreements on equal terms with other countries."
The Severodvinsk-class submarines are being built at the Sevmash shipyard, the center of Russian nuclear submarine production, according to Global Security's Web site.
The new subs will be put into service for the Russian navy in 2011, the source told Itar-Tass.
Russia will finance the construction of the new submarine with long-range cruise missiles, First Deputy Chief of the Navy's General Staff, Vice-Admiral Oleg Burtsev told Itar-Tass.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/7513121/RAF-scrambled-jets-20-times-to-intercept-Russians.htmlRAF scrambled jets 20 times to intercept Russians RAF jets have been scrambled 20 times in the last year to intercept Russian aircraft over British airspace, it was revealed today.
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/03/17/arctic-russia017.html#ixzz0iaV6Vqi6Fresh tensions between Canada and Russia emerged Wednesday after Russian President Dmitry Medvedev told a session of his Security Council that his country must be prepared to defend its claims to Arctic mineral riches.Medvedev predicted climate change will spark further conflicts as ice melts, exposing new areas for exploration."Regrettably, we have seen attempts to limit Russia's access to the exploration and development of the Arctic mineral resources," he said. "That's absolutely inadmissible from the legal viewpoint and unfair given our nation's geographical location and history."
In a direct response, Canada said it would reassert its sovereignty over the Far North at what is shaping up to be a controversial five-country Arctic summit it is hosting in two weeks in Chelsea, Que., outside Ottawa.
"Canada's sovereignty over lands, islands and waters of the Canadian Arctic is long-standing, well-established and based on historical title," Catherine Loubier, spokeswoman for Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon, told The Canadian Press.
"This government is dedicated to fulfilling the North's true potential as a healthy, prosperous and secure region within a strong and sovereign Canada. We take our responsibility for the future of the region seriously."
Loubier noted that Canada has committed to building a "world-class" High Arctic research station, will continue to map "our northern resources and waters," and is taking action to reduce pollution and increase marine safety.
The government has also announced a new fleet of Arctic patrol ships, a deep water port, and is expanding and re-equipping the Canadian Rangers.
"Foreign ministers from the other Arctic Ocean coastal states are expected to discuss these issues when they meet on March 29 in Chelsea," she said.
This latest flare-up between Canada and Russia comes as Cannon prepares to host talks with foreign ministers from four other Arctic coastal states — Russia, the United States, Denmark and Norway.
Indeed, all five of those Arctic countries are making claims over parts of the resource-rich region, which experts believe holds one-quarter of Earth's untapped oil and gas reserves.
Disarming that way.