What's new

Windows (11) updates very cumbersome.

ryanator

Well-known member
Member
Why are Windows updates so slow to download and install, almost intrusive? I would say especially since Windows 10 and more so 11 (Cumulative updates especially). At work, we all have new computers with good specs and gigabit ethernet, but each and every one of them I almost have to painfully babysit. If it's more than a month or two out of date, it will take at least half a day of downloading and installing, both are equally slow.

My average of having 3 or more months out of date, it takes a whole day to be hard plugged in. We have mostly field staff, so it affects us more.

And then there's the 10% of computers that experience the update doom loop, until you go through and manually reset Windows Update. The built in one in 11 needs the MS Store and we can't access on our network.
 
It’s funny I almost posted a thread yesterday talking about why there are so many updates to windows anymore, it’s almost daily anymore. I still use a PC at work so I am always getting them. At home in my Mac it’s about every 3-6 months. I don’t know why windows went this route, are they really finding this many bugs that need to be patched so often?
 
Why are Windows updates so slow to download and install, almost intrusive? I would say especially since Windows 10 and more so 11 (Cumulative updates especially). At work, we all have new computers with good specs and gigabit ethernet, but each and every one of them I almost have to painfully babysit. If it's more than a month or two out of date, it will take at least half a day of downloading and installing, both are equally slow.

My average of having 3 or more months out of date, it takes a whole day to be hard plugged in. We have mostly field staff, so it affects us more.

And then there's the 10% of computers that experience the update doom loop, until you go through and manually reset Windows Update. The built in one in 11 needs the MS Store and we can't access on our network.
Do you schedule the updates to run at night and force the field people to leave their computers on overnight?
 
Do you run any management software that controls power management? I am sure there is software out there for Sys Admins, that support either full power control (power off and WOL (Wake on Lan)). Or even custom scripts to check and install updates on first boot. Then again everyone would have to be out of their programs and make sure everything was saved before forced power off. Now that I am thinking about it the whole thing could be a big mess based off how many clients you have. @jmanz solution is probably the easiest solution.
 
We ran into this with remote people using vpn's. Sorry people, if you don't want to deal with the inconvenience during the day you will have to leave your computers on at night to receive the updates. Zero tolerance. They eventually learn.
 
Furthermore, if you get blow back from senior people in the field about updates at night...stress the need to management about receiving critical updates in a timely fashion for cyber security threats. And if that isn't enough to convince (which it should be), bring up efficiency and lost hours during the work day for computers grinding away doing updates. Management laying the law down to stubborn users was the key to getting people to cooperate whether they liked it or not.
 
But that's for really old OS versions not supported for 10+ years.
You mean they have a higher version of Windows than 3.1?

Delete Old Man GIF
 
I am really surprised you haven't switched over to a Mac Os yet @ryanator . It seems like an Os that you would enjoy. I was once the most outspoken person against the Apple Os. I refused to even work on them. The Os have come such a long way. Everything is so organized. It's super secure, and it incorporates seamlessly with the Apple ecosystem if you have a phone/watch/other device. I have a hard time coming to work and getting on my Windows 11 machine anymore. My Dad's computer finally died, and I just got him a Mac mini. He has been enjoying it, and for someone who only surfs the web and email it works perfectly for him.
 
Back
Top