All things related to the Xbox platforms

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So who here is excited?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested to see what they have to reveal. Can't say I'm excited. After the announcement that may change, depending what is coming and when....

We all know what is coming:

Windows 8 Core. The next Xbox is based on the "Core" (base) version of Windows 8. This suggests a common apps platform or at least one that is similar to that used by Windows 8, and further than Microsoft could open up this platform to enthusiast developers. (That last bit is supposition on my part.)

Price. Microsoft will initially offer two pricing models for the console, offering a standalone version for $499 and then a $299 version that requires a two-year Xbox LIVE Gold commitment at an expected price of $10 per month.

No entertainment box. Microsoft originally planned to offer both a “full� version of the next Xbox (with video game playing capabilities) and a lower-end entertainment-oriented version, codenamed “Yuma,� that did not provide video gaming capabilities. But plans for Yuma are on hold and no pure entertainment version of the next Xbox will appear in 2013 (or possibly ever).

Blu-ray. The next Xbox will include a Blu-ray optical drive.

Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use. This is source of the “always on�/“always online� rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.

Another Xbox 360. Microsoft will also deliver a third generation Xbox 360 console this year that will be significantly less expensive than the current models. The new 360 is codenamed “Stingray,� but it’s not clear if this device is required because the next Xbox isn’t backwards compatible, or because Microsoft simply wants a low-cost entertainment box alternative. (A third possibility, and to be clear these possible reasons are all speculative: The 360 simply has life left in it and with dwindling component prices in the 8 years since the original launch, the firm can still make money selling such a device.)

Well tomorrow is the big day. Anyone else excited? I am sure ndboarder is pissing himself. I do hope the show the console etc.

I refer you to my earlier comments sir. I'm not excited about an announcement. I am eager to see what is coming, but I won't call it excited. After the announcement maybe there will be coming things I am excited about, but mostly I'd say when it gets to within a few weeks of being able to purchase is when I'd really become excited.

It looked good, I think it will be time for jmanz to get one. I'm excited for it, but where is the price and release date? Props to them for showing the hardware though, unlike Sony and only their controller.

nRagrqW.png

jsGB5ce.png

Xbox One not backward compatible with any Xbox 360 games

The Xbox One won't play any existing Xbox 360 games, said Microsoft's Marc Whitten in an interview with The Verge.The lack of backward compatibility results from the new console's hardware architecture, which is a significant departure from that of the Xbox 360. "The system is based on a different core architecture, so back-compat doesn't really work from that perspective," said Whitten, corporate vice president of Xbox Live.
The Xbox 360 does support certain original Xbox games through software emulation — more than 450 titles, almost half the console's library — although backward compatibility can be spotty, depending on the game in question.

Sony's PlayStation 4 is in the same situation as the next Xbox — it won't natively support PlayStation 3 games, because the upcoming system's AMD-made "Jaguar" x86 processor is too different from the PS3's Cell processor. Sony hopes to make back catalog games available on the PS4 through streaming and emulation.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4349698/xbox-one-not-backward-compatible-xbox-360

XboxOne blocks used games. Offline Pass confirmed

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.
But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a “used game�? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/

Xbox One: 15 Xbox exclusives, 8 brand new franchises coming out first year

EA announces Madden 25, FIFA 14, EA UFC, and NBA Live 14 for Xbox One and PS4

Xbox One will not function without Kinect connected, confirms Microsoft UK

Xbox One will not function without Kinect connected' date=' confirms Microsoft UK[/b']
What's the deal with that???

What's the deal with that???
The way they talked about the Kinect during the show, it sounds like it is part of the connectivity, for communication between the xbox and you, whether it is voice/gesture or using the controller.I'm looking forward to the E3 announcements, hopefully they have some date / price info to share then.

Did they mention a release date? Christmas time???

Not till E3 probably. But I am sure November to compete with the PS4.

The only thing they said on date was "Later this year". As Nodle says, I'm guessing Novemberish, but I'd love to be wrong and have it a little earlier. I really liked the look of the TV capabilities, wish they'd said more about how that will work. Looking at Xbox.com it would seem just by having the cable box connected to the XBOX (HDMI input) and the Xbox to the TV (HDMI out). Great for most, since it will switch inputs, give you a guide and all the fun they showed, but here's hoping it works just as well over LAN using my Media Center

Xbox One: You must connect to the internet to "activate" all games + serial keys!!

Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.
http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825ZnNmEct.jpg

inXnRfO.png

Back