What's new

Gigabit network

So is vinyl your favorite then? Even with all the technology out do you think in terms of quality that it sounds cleaner?
 
So is vinyl your favorite then? Even with all the technology out do you think in terms of quality that it sounds cleaner?
Digital is punchy and has the edge for dynamic range. However, if you compare vinyl 2 khz to 20 khz I feel that vinyl is alot more natural and/or silky sounding. Allegedly SACD or DVD-A for being digital, appeals to a number of vinyl fanatics. Not enough titles out there for my tastes though. The last vinyl I purchased was Nickelback 180 gram (silver side up). The timbre of the cymbals (which there alot of) is excellent. Pretty darn punchy. I've been using that NAD PP2 preamp. Seems to be a pretty fair phono preamp for the money. Bottom line for me, S's in digital sound like Z's.

 
I guess I was never really around when vinyl was popular, so I really don't know what I am missing. But I believe you I know alot of people swear by them like you.
 
I guess I was never really around when vinyl was popular' date=' so I really don't know what I am missing. But I believe you I know alot of people swear by them like you.[/quote']Ya there's still some that won't have it any other way. All vinyl for them. I do have a bunch of CD's laying around though. Over the last couple of years however, I've kind of rediscovered the virtues of vinyl. I've read that vinyl out sold DVD-A and SACD 100 to 1. There's still a market there it would seem. There are a surprising number of new releases out there on vinyl. The technology for cutting the records has improved along with the quality of the components in the studios. Converting from vinyl to 96k 24 bit seems to evade some of the pitfalls associated with 44.1k 16 bit. Almost like DVD-A in my opinion. Of course my turntable and cartridge could stand an upgrade but still the silk comes through IMO. Ideally if one were to concentrate on redbook cd's, a tube output CD player would be fun to audition. Something with 20 bit dac burr/brown D/A. I'm seriously considering an Integrated tube amp from Jolida. The current NAD preamp and Sony CD player get fatiguing on the ears.
 
Back
Top