Hostage taker at Dutch national news station getting arrested

nodle

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So this happened today, but it gets weird. See below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UZZ06qn8is

Gunman: I am glad you're staying calm.

Hostage: I am just as nervous as you are. I really want to go home, so i won't get in your way.

Gunman: I understand that sir.

Hostage: I am glad that you also want me to go home safely. We have to make sure that you... I understand this is being done for a reason..?

[0:34]Gunman: Of course. I hope that... when i start soon, could you go sit over there? I promise nothing will happen to you. If i go sit here on my own... They could already be outside.. (probably Police) The things i will be revealing today... Things that matter on a global scale.. We were hired by intelligence agencies. There we have learned of things that could cause enormous doubts to how society is run today. And today we are going to reveal this.

As i've said.. we're not THOSE kinds of people.. We do this in interest of the normal everyday citizen.. That is why it's possible that people "higher up" could tell the police outside to kill me on sight. Nobody is supposed to hear the things i want to say today. I don't want to sit here on my own, because then the police might charge in and kill me.

Hostage: I assume that the director... i just hope that you will.. even if i sit over there..

Gunman: I promise..

Hostage: You know.. so that my life won't be taken in the process?

[2:02]Gunman: No, definitely not. But i would appreciate it if you would stay here, so that the chance of them rushing in would be smaller.. When i have held my speech, i will let you go.

Hostage: Okay, when your speech is trough.. then i assume we'll leave here together?

Gunman: No.. i'll probably let you go before me.. i will let my self get arrested.. i'll see. I'll let you go ahead of me.

[2.36]Gunman: I think this is taking way too long.

Hostage: (trough mic probably) Can you hear me? You have a live microphone now.

Gunman: But is there no contact uhm... This is taking too long!

Hostage: You've heard just as i did that microphone is working.

Gunman: Yes the microphone is working, but i need to know if we are on live television right now? I am also not getting the signal from uh.. (holds ear phone)

Hostage: Good good... so you can hear them? They can't hear you?

Gunman: Yes.

Hostage:Do you understand? Because you're standing here right now, with a microphone and a camera. The camera is on red and you are right in the frame.

Gunman: Yes, but how do i know if i am on live television or not?

Hostage: You have got to talk to your accomplices to know that.

Gunman: Right, but i just heard that the microphone works or something like that? The police is already there.

Hostage: I hope so... can i walk outside now?

Gunman: Soon, when my speech is done.

[4.09] Gunman: Where are you going?

Police: Police, drop your weapon! Drop it! Drop it!

Gunman: I have, i have! Police: Turn around, on your stomach! If you move you will be shot immediately! Situation under the control.

Summary: Gunman with silenced handgun takes over national Dutch news broadcasting company. He says "We were hired by multiple intelligence agencies." Says he has stunning information that will cause people to massively doubt society as we know it today. He is kind to his hostages, constantly saying they won't be harmed. He is unsure if whether the news crew is cooperating and putting him on a live broadcast, he wants to bring his message live. He implies that he is not alone and has a team. Police storm in and he drops the weapon.

I wonder what he wanted to say? Is he just a nutjob? He sounds like he thinks he has uncovered some major conspiracy theory. He had an in ear mic, and seems to be implying he has accomplices who are watching TV to see if he is being live broadcasted. He also says "we" are hired, implying he is not alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also from a letter her was carrying:

"When you read this, don't panic. Don't start yelling and don't warn your colleagues. Act like nothing is happening. I am heavily armed. If you work with us nothing will happen to you. Be aware that I am not on my own. There are five more, plus 98 hackers that are ready for a cyberattack. On top of that, eight heavy explosives have been placed in this country. They contain radioactive material. If you don't bring me to studio 8 to take over the broadcast we will be forced to go in action. You don't want to have that on your conscience, do you? So take me to studio 8, the NOS studio.

(some parts are repeated here, heavily armed, 98 hackers, cyberattack, 8 explosves, radioactive material)...

They want to hold a live broadcast to tell their story. If the live broadcast gets interrupted in any kind of way, we will go over into action. Their conditions are as follows:

1.This building will not be stormed

2.The broadcast will not be slowed down, not interrupted for even a second, and not edited.

3.For clarity: No information at the bottom of the screen, no subtitles. If the conditions are met, we will be let free. I will repeat once again..."

He furthermore stated that that he was working for a hackers group and that he was about to reveal shocking news that the group acquired while working for intelligence agencies.

Back