What's new

Lets discuss barbecuers

Note to self for next time.....It took about 4.5 hours at 300 temp for a 16.5lb bird. Next time I will cook at 325 to expedite the process a bit since turkey does not benefit from the "low and slow" method.
 
Note to self for next time.....It took about 4.5 hours at 300 temp for a 16.5lb bird. Next time I will cook at 325 to expedite the process a bit since turkey does not benefit from the "low and slow" method.
The smoke probably had a hard time penetrating that thick skin.

 
You know what I would like to see it a 'Green Egg' style barbecue, but instead of using coals, use a pellet system. Do they make such a thing? Don't you still have a 'Green Egg' @ndboarder ?
 
You know what I would like to see it a 'Green Egg' style barbecue, but instead of using coals, use a pellet system. Do they make such a thing? Don't you still have a 'Green Egg' @ndboarder ?
Yes. I use a gas grill for simple things (burgers, dogs, brats). I fire up the charcoal for most other things (steaks, smoking, etc). If using it for smoking I have a setup that monitors the temp and stokes the coals as needed to keep the air temp at an exact setting. For strictly smoking a pellet grill would be better, but I think something like this is the most versatile grill. Recently did a turkey and a ribeye roast on it.Why do you want a ceramic style grill that's pellet driven? Heat retention an issue with your grill or something? I'm sure some of that style could be converted, you'd just have to watch the pellet quality and make sure there was nothing in them that would get into the ceramic of the grill. That's not any different than charcoal though, they do not want you using charcoal brickets (not pure enough) or any lighter fluid because the thigns they release can get into the ceramic and affect the flavor of foods for a long while after their use.

 
Well broke out my barbecue for the first time of 2021. Looks like Spring is here.

200.gif

 
So I was having a conversation with out neighbor and she brought up something interesting. He older husband had bought a pellet grill, and she said they like it but she can't find a flavorless pellet. She said oak was the least flavor that she could find and she wishes they just made a pellet to burn without any smoke flavor. I have tried many different pellets, but to me they all taste the same and honestly I can never really taste the smoke myself. I wish they were even more smokey tasting.
 
So I was having a conversation with out neighbor and she brought up something interesting. He older husband had bought a pellet grill, and she said they like it but she can't find a flavorless pellet. She said oak was the least flavor that she could find and she wishes they just made a pellet to burn without any smoke flavor. I have tried many different pellets, but to me they all taste the same and honestly I can never really taste the smoke myself. I wish they were even more smokey tasting.
Lumberjack makes a charcoal pellet that adds a bit more of that type of flavor.

 
Also I will add that you rarely make anything that takes long enough for you to taste the smoke. A 15 minute hot dog isn't going to do it. To get more smoke flavor, you need to grill a food that will take hours.
 
So I was having a conversation with out neighbor and she brought up something interesting. He older husband had bought a pellet grill, and she said they like it but she can't find a flavorless pellet. She said oak was the least flavor that she could find and she wishes they just made a pellet to burn without any smoke flavor. I have tried many different pellets, but to me they all taste the same and honestly I can never really taste the smoke myself. I wish they were even more smokey tasting.
The answer to this is a GAS grill. You cannot burn wood without producing smoke as far as I'm aware....

 
The answer to this is a GAS grill. You cannot burn wood without producing smoke as far as I'm aware....
Yeah pellet grills are smokers. If you don't want smoke, you bought the wrong type of grill in the first place.

 
A friend of mine stopped in to my work today and we got on the subject of making jerky and he recommend using a meat grinder to make it. Before I was hand cutting the strips, but it makes sense because you can mix your spices in the meat itself instead of on the outside. Anyone recommend a meat grinder? :D
 
A friend of mine stopped in to my work today and we got on the subject of making jerky and he recommend using a meat grinder to make it. Before I was hand cutting the strips, but it makes sense because you can mix your spices in the meat itself instead of on the outside. Anyone recommend a meat grinder? :D
IMO this is a personal preference and just as much about texture as it is seasoning. I prefer jerky that's made from cuts of meat over the ground meat. If you go that route, you'll probably want a jerky gun to "shoot" the strips of "jerky" after you've got it ground up and seasoned.

 
If you go that route, you'll probably want a jerky gun to "shoot" the strips of "jerky" after you've got it ground up and seasoned.
I thought about this, but people actually recommend using cake pans, or a mold of some sort. I have been doing natural cuts, but the idea of embedding the spices inside the meat I think would give it a more consistent flavor throughout the meat.

 
I was using some sweet pellets, but don't think I will buy the blend again. Went back to some nice dark smoke blend pellets. Anyways tossed a store bought pizza on the other day, and man did it ever turn out great. The smoke actually added to the flavor. The kids and wife enjoyed it as well. It was a brick oven style.
 
Back
Top