What's new

Metal detecting and detectors

I don't think I have posted this here before. But here is a great tool to find metal detecting spots. It's pretty amazing (even though it's heavily watermarked). But they have old aerial map photos and if you compare it to the modern maps, you can find old homesteads and foundations that no longer exist.

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

 
Last edited by a moderator:
My boss had me order a nice metal detector for him the other day. I got him jacked about finding treasure.

 
My boss had me order a nice metal detector for him the other day. I got him jacked about finding treasure.
You should ask him how much money that greedy bastard needs???
 
I found an old article in a local newspaper from about 1920 talking about when a stagecoach got robbed in this small area between two towns that no longer exist (ghost towns now). The tale goes, they robbed it but then they came out they did not have the gold and gold dust on them. They caught the guy and before they hung them, he said if they would release him within 3 hours, he would provide a "man's weight in gold" for freeing him. They hung him anyway. 3 hours puts him on horseback right in the same little area. Anyways I found the area on a topo map and have been looking at landmarks where someone would hide something like that around there. It would be fun to take my detectors up there. Funny part is it's only about a half hour from here. 

200.gif


 
Well, I went out and did some treasure hunting over the weekend. It was fun getting my metal detector out. I didn't find any treasure. But it's always about the adventure, right? I have plans on checking out some more areas here soon.

 
Picked up a book on my local area I live in, and man you want to talk about living in an historic area. Apparently there are so many buried treasures hidden in my area. I can't wait for summer, I am going to find me some!

 
Did some more treasure hunting today. I had the whole family so I couldn't get too serious. Daughter brought hers along as well. Had a good time though.

 
Back
Top