What's new

Who here collects watches?

Apparently the rumor about Fitbit buying Pebble wasn't true? According to Twitter is was a hack/disgruntled employee spreading the rumor? Guess we will have to wait and see now.
 
I saw all the speculation that Fitbit was considering a purchase.  I haven't seen anything that says that they won't - but anything last week was known rumor/speculation that they were in talks.  Never did I see a "Fitbit has completed purchase of Pebble" - but acquisitions take a while so it still could happen.

I think both Fitbit and Pebble are struggling, not sure the combination would help either one

 
Still surprised, I figured in the digital age we live in smart watches would be flourishing. I love mine, my Pebble that is over my iWatch. It's great in a business environment. Still don't know if I should return my new Pebble or not. I packaged it up after hearing the news, but kinda in limbo until Pebble makes an official statement.
 
Welp that's it. Pebble is officially dead. :( I'll be returning mine this weekend. I feel bad for people that haven't even received them yet. They are still filling orders from Kickstarter. How would you like to get that only to find out it's dead tech already. Sucks, they had everything going for them.
 
I am still bummed about Pebble going under. The good news is they are real cheap to purchase these days. Mine still functions flawless and I wear it almost everyday. There still is nothing really on the market that comes close to it though.
 
One of the new watches I recently picked up. This will be my work watch.

H86slgr.webp

 
Well it's a sad day, I decided to retire my Pebble today. the way still works, but I see the app no longer connects to the internet anymore. There is a side project called Rebble to keep it going, but I think its time. Uninstalled the app, turned my bluetooth off and left the Pebble on to drain the battery. Good night sweet prince.
 
Going back to the 80's!

uAUvTFu.jpg
 
Last edited:
I saw a guy in a meeting wearing the Garmin Instinct watch the other day. I looked into them awhile back. I see they have a version 2 out that has an option to use solar and has almost unlimited battery life as long as there is sun out. Pretty sweet for a smart watch. Even if you don’t have a lot of sun the battery life is insane. People seem to like them for a smart watch.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/690051

 
I saw a guy in a meeting wearing the Garmin Instinct watch the other day. I looked into them awhile back. I see they have a version 2 out that has an option to use solar and has almost unlimited battery life as long as there is sun out. Pretty sweet for a smart watch. Even if you don’t have a lot of sun the battery life is insane. People seem to like them for a smart watch.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/690051
Perfect for tactical bros!

 
I think I would almost choose the Garmin Instinct over an iWatch. I really only want something to display my texts, and it has tons of other features as well. The two major selling points over an iWatch are you don't have to baby it vs. the iWatch since it's more rugged. Plus, that battery life. Who wants to have to charge their watch each day?
 
I think I would almost choose the Garmin Instinct over an iWatch. I really only want something to display my texts, and it has tons of other features as well. The two major selling points over an iWatch are you don't have to baby it vs. the iWatch since it's more rugged. Plus, that battery life. Who wants to have to charge their watch each day?
Is charging the watch daily that big of deal? I have the charger right next to my bed. It charges while I sleep. Easy. Unless you want sleep monitoring then yeah I guess it's a slight annoyance. I think the Apple watch is pretty legit and it's only going to get better with more robust health features which I like.

 
I will concede that Garmin makes some cool smart watches that people use for marathons, triathlons, Iron Man races etc. They run a little more money but I'm guessing Apple is trying to get into that market as well starting with their Ultra.
 
I'm guessing Apple is trying to get into that market as well starting with their Ultra.
There is a market for it. I think of the Apple watch as an office/daily easy lifestyle watch. But there is another market to grab which is the physical work market, like construction workers, and people that play outdoors hard.

 
There is a market for it. I think of the Apple watch as an office/daily easy lifestyle watch. But there is another market to grab which is the physical work market, like construction workers, and people that play outdoors hard.
I would agree. I know a guy who loves his Apple watch but doesn't dare wear it for his railroad job.

 
I am still looking at Garmin, and I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on it. I might have to wait for my birthday.
 
I am still looking at Garmin, and I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on it. I might have to wait for my birthday.
The problem with getting a smart watch is it makes your other watches much less fun to wear. I have a nice Citizen not getting worn at all.

 
Back
Top