What's new

Home Server Racks and Ubiquiti

The new updates that are rolling to the devices are getting them onto a unified platform. Some of the things out there to hack extra bits and pieces onto their hardware may not work anymore, but for me I like the changes as they are enabling more functionality on their own and I don't want to run other stuff on the hardware. I've put my UDM pro into early access just to get the updates faster as they move it toward the 3.0 software currently on some of the other products.
 
I was having a problem with my Ubiquity devices running hot (seems to be fairly common with them). SO I just updated to their Beta and seemed to have fixed the problem. I was almost ready to purchase a new router because of it.
 
I went ahead and ordered a Dream router to replace my Dream Machine. I lucked out and was able to snag one. It has its limitations but will be sufficient for my internet.

 
I see Ubiquity partnered with Cybersecure or Proofpoint. I have heard good things about the company, apparently, they provide security for Microsoft. So, they seem to know their stuff. Anyways they offer it at $99 a year and it's built into their software. Somewhat spendy, but it breaks down to around $8 a month which isn't to bad. Anyways I activated and will try it out for a year.

 
Noice Thats Nice GIF


 
Looks like Ubiquity is getting to the NAS market; this is great after Synology whole ordeal.


 
I’m see UniFi is starting to do integrated UPS now.

 
Well, I updated my internet to a 1 Gbps down/50 mbps up connection today. The bad part is my current Ubiquity router UDR with IPS/IDS enabled caps at around 700mbps for packet inspection. So looks like I have to upgrade to their new Dream Router 7 to take advantage of the new speeds. Ughhhhh...
 
I was looking at the T-Mobile Gateway/Router that they gave me and was checking out the specs:

The T-Mobile G5AR gateway features cutting-edge Wi-Fi 7 (802.11be/ax) for blazing-fast wireless speeds, supporting the latest 2.4/5/6 GHz bands with 4x4 MIMO, plus Bluetooth 5.1, and uses WPA3 security for robust connectivity, designed to keep pace with its advanced 5G cellular modem for high-performance home internet.

It technically has better wifi specs than my dream router now. When do you throw in the towel and just say F it?
 
Well I ordered my Dream Router 7 and some of their nice new braided cables. I did a bunch of WiFi 7 router research and it still seemed the best bang for my buck.

If anyone needs or wants to try UniFi, I have both the original Dream machine and now the UDR version. PM me and we can talk.
 
Unfi just released their new promo video for the new Network 10.1. Has some neat new features.

 
Well got the new router setup tonight. Everything went very smooth. I didn't restore a backup but started fresh. Ran into one little problem with my Cybersecure subscription transform, but lo and behold they had a real live person under your account section and within minutes I was back up around running. My first time using support. I am pulling over 1 gig down now with IPS/IDS running.
 
I forgot to mention their new premium cables. I ordered a few in 3 different sizes. They are 2.5gig cables, but I can't believe how thin they are. If you have ever been around standard cat5/6 cables, imagine them being at least 3 times thinner. I don't know how they did it. The material that covers the cable is just like Apple's new braided power cables. These are the cadalliac of cables.

 
I really want to buy one of their travel routers, but I don't really have a use for it.

 
I logged into my router tonight and saw that my ISP provider was broadcasting IPV6 now, so I enabled it.
 
Back
Top