Timing the market is a fool's game for the most part. Always buy, don't sell, hold on for a bumpy ride. Some of the wisest investors I know are the ones that put X dollars aside in one form or another to purchase every month/quarter/whatever.When the market is high you don't get as much for your $, but you get something. When the market drops you temporarily lose value and can buy more for your $. When the market rebounds you will regain most or more than you lost, plus your new stuff is out.Timing the market is a tough, tough deal. Even the folks who do it for a living don't get it right usually. Sometimes if you sell on the way down, you don't get your money back in on time to catch the upswing and it's too late. For us younger guys, we almost need the market to stay down for awhile so we can accumulate month after month on the cheap with the 401ks, brokerage accts, etc
Doesn't gold usually go up when the market is low, and down while the market rises. If you think the market will recover, you'd make more of a killing buying into cheap stocks. If you want to make a killing on gold, buy in when people have faith in the market and the prices are low, and sell the next time there's a market panic and people are looking to move into precious metals.If you have alot of faith in the market and think it will recover in the future you could invest in gold and make a killing when it goes back up. If it goes back up.

I guess watermelon season is coming up.I guess I'm not scared of it. In fact, if the market stays down, I'll be a buyer.