What's new

The current vehicle shortage situation

we just sold a 2009 f150 with a re-furbished engine for $2800 bucks and traded up for a 2016 F250 with 60k miles for towing the camper, going bicycling, dump runs etc. I don't remember what we're paying off-hand for the newer one but it was a really good deal compared to a lot of the others we've seen

I don't really have my 'own' vehicle so our work truck is pretty much mine. We have just been working together for a decade or so to clear all of our debts and build up what we have. We're just starting to come into the clearing so a lot of our hard work is starting to pay off. It has been up and down, even in the negative, so needless to say I'm just grateful

we also have an atv with a winch and a plow and snow chains to plow ours and neighbors driveways

Next I think I want to buy a small coupe car or a motorcycle to get around, especially if I stay here for a few more years. Stayin' positive

Going back to the truck we sold :( though that we put probably 20k miles on a refurbished engine with little to no problems. The seat doesn't work and there are minor issues like that because it's older, but it ran great given what it has been through. I towed a full-sized camper from Minnesota to Montana twice without breaking down. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw
 
Next I think I want to buy a small coupe car or a motorcycle to get around, especially if I stay here for a few more years. Stayin' positive
I can't remember didn't you have a newer Supra once?
 
No I had the special edition gt 86. Same engine and style as a BRZ, pretty much. It was great but I hit a deer and did some damage hitting rocks and didn't have enough to cover the replacement parts as they're really specific. It was nice for the time, though. Manual 6 speed and 80s style interior
 

It was this 1. Not the best. Not the worst, but it was nice to have a little something special at least once. 😀

That being said, as a bit of a worrier, I was constantly worried about rocks, dings, or anything else touching it. You really gotta have extra $$ to foot repairs if you want a super nice ride. IMO
 
Last edited:

It was this 1. Not the best. Not the worst, but it was nice to have a little something special at least once. 😀
Sexy, it's nice to have something nice when you're young. I had my motorcycle and some decent cars, the older you get these all go away, @C Pav knows exactly what I am talking about,
 
Hit the wall today. New Years I decided to start exercising all year as opposed to taking it easy from fall to december in 2024. I am doing good but last night it snowed a ton, and halfway through plowing our driveway after doing the neighbors', the 4wheeler died. I am going to plug it in and we are gonna take it back to the shop, but I think it's an electrical problem. I think the switch between juice on the drivetrain vs the winch is causing some kind of short circuit somewhere, but we'll have to see. Needless to say, I had to plow the rest of the driveway with my hands... with a shovel. It's times like these that I will be glad to do it though, because I will be needing to strengthen my lower back lol. I mean we have a snow blower too (before we realized 4wheeler was better), but I needed the exercise. It was rough though and bitter cold

The truck, on the other hand, runs like a dream. It's just a work truck so I don't get too overexcited unless it's a ford raptor or something super cool, but it sure does run smoothly and has good juice and torque in the snow. 4WD is so good to have here. I am going to indulge in some coffee now. Enjoy your Sunday
 
Last edited:
Interesting story that @jmanz will love. I was talking with a guy on an outing last night, and he recently got a job at our Chevy dealership and has been there about a year in the mechanic dept. I told him that I heard their transmissions aren't very good. He said if someone buys a new pickup and gets 5000 miles out the door before they go bad, they are lucky. He said the problem is so bad nationwide that the parts being on back order and they are having to wait so long. He said if you have a HD or heavy-duty model, you are looking at 9 months waiting time for a replacement transmission. Said he had a guy in earlier that day that has about 3,500 on his new HD and they had to tell him it was going to be 9 months before they can get a replacement, they said he was irate. He also said with all this new tech that everything requires update, after update, and because of where we live with the spotty cell coverage that the updates to the computers come down and then cut off and then get corrupted, and people are bringing back in their vehicles all the time and they have to reflash them. I wanted to talk to him longer but had to go, he told me right before I left, that don't buy any pickup from 24-25 model year.
 
Interesting story that @jmanz will love. I was talking with a guy on an outing last night, and he recently got a job at our Chevy dealership and has been there about a year in the mechanic dept. I told him that I heard their transmissions aren't very good. He said if someone buys a new pickup and gets 5000 miles out the door before they go bad, they are lucky. He said the problem is so bad nationwide that the parts being on back order and they are having to wait so long. He said if you have a HD or heavy-duty model, you are looking at 9 months waiting time for a replacement transmission. Said he had a guy in earlier that day that has about 3,500 on his new HD and they had to tell him it was going to be 9 months before they can get a replacement, they said he was irate. He also said with all this new tech that everything requires update, after update, and because of where we live with the spotty cell coverage that the updates to the computers come down and then cut off and then get corrupted, and people are bringing back in their vehicles all the time and they have to reflash them. I wanted to talk to him longer but had to go, he told me right before I left, that don't buy any pickup from 24-25 model year.
I believe it. I have read numerous horror stories of the 10 speed transmissions. Many are purposely buying older models before they went to the 10 speed, in fact.
 
Back
Top